The Leviathan Axe can be upgraded numerous times, but you’ll need to find a Frozen Flame in God of War Ragnarok to do it.
Kratos has a few weapons to use, but none are as reliable as the Leviathan Axe, his frost-inflicting tool that can return upon his command.
However, over time the Leviathan Axe won’t be able to keep up with some of the tougher enemies, meaning you’ll need to upgrade it. This means finding some extremely rare Frozen Flames.
How to Get Frozen Flames in God of War Ragnarok
Players will be able to obtain Frozen Flames, used to upgrade the Leviathan Axe, at the 6 parts in the God of War Ragnarok story listed below:
- Surviving Fimbulwinter: Defeat the Huntress
- Groa’s Secret: Defeat Alva in Alfheim
- The Reckoning: Free Freya from her spell
- Reunion: Defeat the Hel-Traveller
- The Summoning: Defeat the Flame Phantom
- Favor for Vanaheim: Defeat the Crimson Dread
You can find out how far these missions are into the game by looking at the full mission list for God of War Ragnarok.
How to Upgrade The Leviathan Axe in God of War Ragnarok
Here’s how you can upgrade the Leviathan Axe in God of War Ragnarok:
- Press the touchpad and press R2 until you go to the map
- Hover over a yellow marker on the map with the Anvil in them and press Triangle
- Head towards the location until you meet Brok and/or Sindri
- Go up to the table and press Circle
- Use the D-Pad to select Leviathan Axe and hold ‘Square’ to upgrade it. You’ll spend one Frozen Flame per upgrade level
You’ll find your Dwarven allies in a variety of places throughout God of War’s Nine Realms. However, they’re usually close to a gateway on the map.
After that, you’ll gain access to new skills which you can spend Kratos’ XP on. This will enhance your abilities in combat.
Similarly, players can find Chaos Flames to upgrade the Blades of Chaos. It’s good to sharpen both of your main weapons.
Getting these Frozen Flames will definitely help you complete God of War Ragnarok’s extensive trophy list and earn the Platinum Trophy.