There are few weapons more devastating to come up against than a Splatling in Splatoon 3. But which one is the best of the best?
Here’s everything you need to know about the fan-favorite weapon class:
What Is a Splatling in Splatoon 3?
Splatlings are ink-based weapons that are based on gatling guns, offering incredible firepower in-game. Like Chargers, these weapons need a moment to prepare before unleashing hell on your opponents.
However, Splatlings can actually be charged to two levels of charge, the first increasing its range and firing duration, and the second allowing you to keep firing for even longer before requiring another trigger-pull.
Splatlings are a varied bunch, but generally boast exceptionally-high fire rates. And while their damage per shot can be low, you’ll be splatting enemies at incredible range, ridiculously fast, provided your aim is on-point.
To make sure you’re as prepared as you can be, here are the best settings to use in Splatoon 3 to improve that accuracy!
How to Use Splatling in Splatoon 3
- To use a Splatling in Splatoon 3, hold down ZR until the reticle circle fills up and then release to launch a series of paint shots forward.
- You can also keep holding ZR until a second circle fills up to reach the second charge level, and extend your spray time.
- The second charge will often be faster than the first, but those looking to stay on the move might not want to charge for the full length.
- Press ZL at any time while firing to instantly turn into squid-form and stop your shots.
Splatoon 3’s Best Splatling
The best Splatling in Splatoon 3 is the Hydra Splatling, the most powerful ink gatling gun on the market. Yes, it has the longest charge-up time out of any weapon in the class, but when firing, it’s almost a hitscan gun.
For those unfamiliar with the term, hitscan refers to a weapon where the bullets have instant travel time between leaving the gun and hitting an opponent. Even the Hydra Splatling isn’t entirely hitscan, but its ink blasts travel incredibly fast and far.
Although you’ll need to get used to a longer charge-up time, the Hydra is capable of wiping an entire enemy team from outstanding range. And if you’re already charging up a weapon, a little extra time shouldn’t hurt much.
But what makes the weapon even better is its kit.
Use the Autobomb Sub Weapon to distract enemies, or drive them out of hiding, while you charge. And this gun also comes with Booyah Bomb – one of the best Special Weapons in the game!
How to Unlock Hydra Splatling
To unlock the Hydra Splatling, you’ll need to reach level 20 in Splatoon 3 and spend a ticket on the weapon at the Ammo Knights weapon store.
Here’s how to level up fast in Splatoon 3 to unlock it in no time!
Splatling Tips & Tricks
- When using a Splatling weapon, you won’t be able to maneuver as well as some of the other weapon classes. Because of this, you want to generally keep enemies at range where possible.
- Going up against fast-moving guns such as the Dualies can be a hassle, but don’t leave yourself open to a long-range Charger shot while firing either. Stay on the move so enemies don’t have time to react to the mountain of paint this weapon class produces.
- Try to stand behind cover when charging up, then step out and unleash a wall of ink on your unsuspecting opponents.
- Use tools such as the Autobomb to cover your back while setting up your position. This will protect your Inkling or Octoling from incoming enemies, who will need to deal with the equipment before reaching you.
- Don’t forget that you can cancel out of your firing by using ZL to dive into nearby ink instantly, thereby avoiding danger.