The Waxing Gibbous is a powerful One-Handed Unique Axe that can add some serious damage to your Druid build.
As a Unique item, it is among the most powerful loot in the game. A few conditions need to be met first before you can get your hands on one.
We’re going to go over all of the Waxing Gibbous’s effects and bonuses, as well as the best ways to get it.
How to Get Waxing Gibbous in Diablo 4
To get the Waxing Gibbous, you need to play in either World Tier 3 or 4 and hope that it drop as loot after defeating enemies and opening chests.
You can also target farm the Waxing Gibbous by summoning and defeating either the Grigoire and the Beast in the Ice endgame bosses.
This is because the Waxing Gibbous is part of Grigoire’s and the Beast in the Ice’s loot tables. Therefore, defeating these endgame bosses is is the most reliable way of getting this Unique Axe in Diablo 4.
However, you first need to meet a few requirements before taking either of them on.
How to Get Waxing Gibbous from Grigoire
To get the Waxing Gibbous from Grigoire, you need to summon and defeat him in the Hall of the Penitent dungeon in either World Tier 3 or World Tier 4.
To summon Grigoire, you need to:
- Gather Living Steel by taking part in Helltides
- You can get Living Steel by opening Tortured Gifts of Living Steel – they need 300 Aberrant Cinders to open
- You will need 2 Living Steel to summon Grigoire in the Hall of the Penitent dungeon in World Tier 3
- You will need 5 Living Steel to summon Grigoire in the Hall of the Penitent dungeon in World Tier 4
After defeating Grigoire, there is a chance he will drop the Waxing Gibbous. Check out our guide on how to summon Grigoire for a more extensive rundown.
For more details on how to get Living Steel, be sure to check out our guide on every Tortured Gift of Living Steel Chest location in Diablo 4 Season 2.
How to Get Waxing Gibbous from the Beast in the Ice
To get the Waxing Gibbous from the Beast in the Ice, in you need to summon and defeat him at the Glacial Fissure Nightmare Dungeon in World Tier 4.
You can only summon and fight the Beast in the Ice in World Tier 4.
Do the following to summon the Beast in the Ice:
- Craft a Glacial Fissure Nightmare Sigil at the Occultist to be able to summon the Beast in the Ice
- You will need:
- 9 Distilled Fear – has a chance to drop from completing Nightmare Dungeons level 30 or higher
- 250 Sigil Powder – drops from Tree of Whispers rewards caches, defeating enemies in Nightmare Dungeons, World Bosses, and salvaging Nightmare Sigils
- You will need:
- Once crafted, activate the Glacial Fissure Nightmare Sigil to initiate the Beast in the Ice boss encounter at the Glacial Fissure Nightmare Dungeon
After defeating the Beast in the Ice, there is a chance that the Waxing Gibbous will drop.
How to Get Waxing Gibbous As Loot
As a Unique item, you can only get the Waxing Gibbous as loot after defeating enemies or opening chests while playing in either World Tier 3 or World Tier 4. It will not drop in any previous World Tiers.
Accessing World Tier 3 (Nightmare) difficulty will require you to finish the campaign and complete the Capstone Dungeon at the Cathedral of Light.
For World Tier 4 (Torment) difficulty, you’ll need to complete the Fallen Temple Capstone Dungeon in the Dry Steppes region.
Once you have met these requirements, the Waxing Gibbous will have a chance to drop as random loot as you play, just as with all other loot in the game. As it’s random, there’s no accurate way to determine how long it will take as it’s based on RNG.
Despite the fact that the Waxing Gibbous may drop in World Tier 3, we recommend playing in World Tier 4 to increase your chances of seeing it drop. There is a higher chance for Unique items to appear in World Tier 4.
Here are some of the activities you can engage in to increase your chances of getting the Waxing Gibbous in Diablo 4:
- Defeat either Grigoire or the Beast in the Ice
- Play in higher World Tiers
- Engage in Helltides and open Helltide Mystery Chests
- Defeat Elite enemies
- Run through Dungeons and Nightmare Dungeons
- Defeat World Bosses
- Take part in Legion Events
- Open Reward Chests and Caches
What is Waxing Gibbous in Diablo 4?
Waxing Gibbous is a Unique One-Handed Axe unique to the Druid class. It has the Unique Effect of guaranteeing a Critical Strike to your attacks after breaking Stealth.
Here are all of the Waxing Gibbous’s affixes and unique effects:
- Waxing Gibbous Affixes:
- +Damage to Healthy Enemies
- +Life on Kill
- +Damage to Close Enemies
- +Critical Strike Damage
- +Damage to Injured Enemies
- Waxing Gibbous Unique Effect:
- Gain Stealth for 2 seconds when killing enemies with Shred. Breaking Stealth with an attack grants Ambush which guarantees Critical Strikes for (XX) seconds
Made for Druids that opt for a Werewolf-focused build, the Waxing Gibbous grants Stealth for 2 seconds after activating the Shred ability. When Stealth is broken with an attack, you are granted a guaranteed Critical Strike with Ambush.
With its significant damage buffs to Injured, Healthy, and Close Enemies, in addition to its base damage increase to Crit Damage, the Waxing Gibbous is a damage dealer’s dream.
It’s an all-around solid choice for any budding lycanthropes out there who wants to add some serious punch to their Druid builds.
For more on Uniques, check out our guide on how to summon each endgame boss to target farm Unique and Uber Unique items here.