If you want to smuggle contraband in Starfield, the Shielded Cargo Hold is a must-have item, and here is how you can get it.
Contraband in Bethesda’s latest RPG is extremely valuable, and selling it can earn players many credits. However, the Freestar Collective or United Colonies will not allow you to bring these items into their orbits unless you can hide them with this special cargo hold.
If you do not know how to obtain the Shielded Cargo Hold, look no further as we dive into how you can become a space smuggler!
How to Get Shielded Cargo in Starfield
Starfield players can get a Shielded Cargo Hold by:
The easiest and quickest method is to buy one, as stealing a ship with Shielded Cargo could take quite a while.
Not every ship you steal will also have Shielded Cargo, meaning it will be a luck-based task.
How to Purchase Shielded Cargo
You must head to a black market ship dealer to purchase Shielded Cargo. Because of their illegal nature, most vendors won’t offer you a Shielded Cargo Hold for sale, but those on the black market will.
The closest and easiest place to travel is to Lon Andersson at the Red Mile on Porrima III in the Porrima System.
- Travel to Porrima III in the Porrima System.
- Land at the Red Mile.
- As soon as you enter the building, speak with Lon Andersson, who is in the office.
- Select the option: “I’d like to view and modify my ships.”
- Enter the shipbuilder – X (Xbox) or B (PC).
- On the shipbuilder, make sure you are not hovering on your ship.
- Select Add – A (Xbox) or G (PC).
- On the ship parts menu, toggle until you reach “Cargo.”
- Here, you will see different options, including Shielded Cargo.
- Select the one you wish to buy and purchase this ship part.
Once you have purchased it, you can add it to your ship. If you do not know how to add it, we have a guide further down the article explaining how to add Shielded Cargo.
How to Steal a Ship With Shielded Cargo
To steal a ship with Shielded Cargo, you must board the vessel and kill everyone inside. Then, you must sit in the pilot’s seat.
Next, enter the menu and head to the ship section in the bottom right. On the left-hand side, under ‘Ship Overview” and below Cargo, it will say the Shielded Cargo capacity.
If you want a more in-depth explanation, check out our guide on how to board and steal enemy ships!
Stealing a ship with a Shielded Cargo will likely rely on luck. However, stealing a ship from pirates or spacers will yield a higher chance than stealing one from the United Colonies or Freestar Collective.
How to Add Shielded Cargo to Your Ship in Starfield
To add Shielded Cargo, you must:
- Purchase one from the shipbuilder.
- Leave it to the side unattached to your ship.
- Remove your current Cargo Hold.
- Select the Shielded Cargo Hold and place it where your previous one was attached.
- Select your previous Cargo Hold and delete it.
Once you have completed these steps, exit the shipbuilder and save your progress. Any items in your former Cargo Hold will automatically transfer to your new one.