Depending on what you choose during the Overdesigned quest in Starfield, you can get a free Kepler R Class C ship to fly around in at your leisure.
Overdesigned appears after you complete the “High Price to Pay” main quest, and sees you help design a starship for the lucrative Stroud-Eklund ship manufacturer. It’s a company part-owned by the Constellation’s very own financier, Walter Stroud.
While helping the ship design team, you’ll have a direct impact on the type of ship they produce and which ship you’ll get as a reward at the end of the quest.
Below we go over all the choices you need to make to get your hands on a free Kepler R Class C ship, an overview of its stats, and how to pilot it.
Starfield Overdesigned Choices: How to Get Free Kepler R Class C Ship
To get the Kepler R Class C ship in Starfield, you must embark on the “Overdesiged” miscellaneous quest and choose to do the following:
- Persuade Jules to go for the bigger “kitchen sink” budget
- During the optional objective, choose the “positive” dialogue options and respond positively to each team member’s ideas
- Choose to do a team-building exercise
Not choosing the above options and opting for the alternative will result in receiving the Kepler S Class B ship instead of the Kepler R. Although a fine ship in its own right, the Kepler S is outclassed by the Kepler R in every way. The Kelpler-R is also considerably more valuable if you’re looking for some quick credits.
Follow the steps below to complete the “Overdesigned” quest and get your hands on the Kepler R Class C ship in Starfield:
- After completing the “High Price to Pay” main quest, talk to Walter Stroud at the Lodge in New Atlantis
- Head to Stroud-Eklund Staryard in the Narion system
- Here’s the plotted course from Alpha Centauri to the Narion system in the Starmap:
- Stroud-Eklund Staryard orbits the Dalvik planet – fly within 500m to dock
- Follow your quest marker to the conference room and speak to Jules Degante
- Save your game before you engage in dialogue
- Choose the bigger “kitchen sink” budget option
- You need to persuade Jules – if you fail to persuade her, reload your game before this dialogue and attempt it until you do
- It is essential to persuade her for you to get the Kepler R ship later
- Give positive feedback to each team member
- Go around the table in the conference room and talk to each member of the team
- Listen to and support their ideas – always pick the ‘positive’ dialogue options at the top
- Accept Mission Board tasks to gather “market data”
- Follow the blue quest marker to the Mission Board outside
- Select missions from the Mission Board
- Jules mentioned that you need to complete one cargo mission and one bounty mission to gather more data
- You can do both, but you only need to do one to get the Kepler R ship
- Complete your missions to gather data
- Return to Jules and report your findings
- Head back to the conference room at Stroud-Eklund Staryard
- Choose the ‘teambuilding” option when talking with Jules
- You’ll guide the team in a group meditation!
- Speak to Jules one final time after this
- Head back to Walter Stroud at the Lodge
- After you tell him about your progress, you’ll receive the Kepler R Class C ship for free!
Once you have unlocked the Kepler R ship, you can access it at any spaceport by talking to the Ship Services Technician.
Kepler R Class C Ship Stats
Here are all the stats for the Kepler R ship in Starfield:
- Class C Reactor: 24 max ship energy
- Fuel: 2800
- Hull: 999
- Cargo Capacity: 3550
- Crew Capacity: 6
- Jump: 28 LY
- Shield: 805
- BAL: 44
- LAS: 38
The Kepler R ship is a monstrous piece of kit, with a huge amount of fuel and a staggering Cargo Capacity. It will allow you to hoard and haul all the space junk you could ever want across the far reaches of the galaxy.
It’s also likely the first Class C ship you’ll come across in Starfield, though you’ll need to be able to invest in your Piloting skill before you can pilot it.
How to Pilot Class C Ships in Starfield
To pilot Class C ships in Starfield, you must max out your Piloting skill to Rank 4. The Piloting skill can be found in the first tier of the Tech tree in the skills menu in Starfield.
You need to have your Piloting skill leveled up to Rank 4 before you can get into the captain’s seat of the Kepler R and pilot it.
Here are all four ranks of the Piloting skill in Starfield:
- Rank 1 – You can now utilize ship thrusters.
- Rank 2 – Increased ship turning rate and maneuverability.
- Rank 3 – Unlock the ability to pilot Class B ships.
- Rank 4 – Unlock the ability to pilot Class C ships.
To unlock each rank, you need to:
- Rank 1 – Spend a skill point.
- Rank 2 – Destroy 5 ships and spend a skill point.
- Rank 3 – Destroy 15 ships and spend a skill point.
- Rank 4 – Destroy 30 ships and spend a skill point.
A total of 50 ships need to be destroyed to level up to Rank 4 of the Piloting skill.
Thankfully, you can use the UC pilot simulation program in the MAST building at New Atlantis to farm ship kills and level up your piloting skills quickly in Starfield!