Pokemon GO just got a brand-new feature and the new Routes mechanic is set to change how the game is played for good!
If you’re a regular Pokemon GO player, chances are you have a favorite path to follow when out and about playing the game.
Now, Niantic aims to reward that behavior, with bonuses available to those who love to follow a set path.
What Are Routes in Pokemon GO?
Routes are set paths submitted by players that can appear in Pokemon GO on the new Route tab. Trainers can create their own Routes or follow ones made by the community for an array of rewards.
To find Routes near you, simply tap the Nearby button, which appears on the bottom right of the screen and you’ll be able to see a new Route tab next to Raids.
Then, you’ll be able to see all local Routes near you and follow them for added bonuses.
Pokemon GO Routes began appearing in at 10 AM local time on July 21 alongside the Blaze New Trails event.
However, since Route Creation is being gradually rolled out, some players won’t see any Routes appearing in their area right away.
All Bonuses For Exploring Routes in Pokemon GO
While following a Route set by yourself or another player in Pokemon GO, you’ll receive the following bonuses:
- A new Route Badge when following a Route to its end for the first time.
- Earn Buddy Candy more quickly.
- Pokemon will be more attracted to Insense when you’re exploring a Route for the first time.
- An XP bonus for completing your first Route each day. After completing Routes for seven days, you’ll receive an increased XP bonus.
- Earn a Buddy Heart for completing a Route while adventuring with your buddy.
- Zygarde Cells will only appear when exploring Routes, allowing you to collect the special item and change Zygarde’s form!
How to Create a Route in Pokemon GO
To submit your own Route in Pokemon GO, follow these steps:
- Bring up the Nearby tab using the button in the bottom right of the screen.
- Tap Route
- Select ‘Create New Route’
- Choose a PokeStop or Gym as your starting point. You’ll need to be close to your location of choice to begin creating the Route.
- You’ll then be asked to set an end point for the Route.
- Then hit Record and walk where you’d like the Route to end. Your path will be the one that other Trainers can follow.
- Finally, you’ll need to fill out some information regarding your Route before submitting it for review. When Niantic manually reviews your Route, you (and other players) will then start to see it appear in-game!
How to Explore a Route in Pokemon GO
To follow an existing Route in Pokemon GO, bring up the Nearby tab using the button in the bottom right of the screen.
Then, select Routes and you’ll be able to ‘See Nearby Routes.’ If no Routes are present in your area, it’ll be because no users have created one nearby yet – why not make your own?
Select a Route you’d like to follow. You’ll be able to see its expected walking time and how far the Route is before hitting Follow.
Once you’ve chosen your preferred Route, simply head to the starting location and you can follow the blue line to its end point.
And all the while, you’ll be able to enjoy numerous benefits for doing so!