Modern Warfare 2’s brand-new 20 v 20 mode, Invasion, is available to try out in the Beta – here is everything we know about it.
As the MW2 Beta enters its second week, more fans across multiple platforms have the opportunity to try it.
Fortunately, to keep things interesting, Infinity Ward has added additional modes and maps into the Beta. People who played the Beta initially and newcomers alike can enjoy these modes together.
One such mode is the enormous 20 v 20 Invasion mode. There’s a lot to unpack with this brand-new spin on the Ground War formula.
If you were hoping to play the Invasion mode but are getting stuck on the “Checking For Updates” screen, don’t worry, there is a very easy fix.
What Is the Invasion Game Mode in MW2?
Invasion in CoD Modern Warfare 2 is a large-scale 20 v 20 mode that combines human operators with AI-controlled combatants.
It is very similar to the Ground War mode from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, albeit with some significant tweaks. If you’re not familiar with that, then imagine one giant game of Team Death Match.
How Does Invasion Work?
In the MW2 mode Invasion, players are put into teams of four and are tasked with earning a specific amount of points – which is typically 2,000.
As you push forward across the map and attempt to complete objectives, the game will determine a front line for your team.
This will be based on the average player position throughout the battlefield and will then decide what your team’s respawn locations are.
How to Earn Points in Invasion
Players can earn points by completing various objectives, such as taking down human operators or AI combatants. By far, the easiest way to do this is to make sure you’ve got the best MW2 loadouts possible.
This is the point distribution for the individual Invasion objectives:
- One Point: Take down an AI-controlled Combatant
- Two Points: Shoot down an enemy UAV or Counter-UAV
- Three Points: Shoot down a VTOL Jet, Support Helo or Chopper Gunner
- Five Points: Take out a human operator, shoot down an enemy Gunship or destroy a human-controlled vehicle
Which Maps Are Available in Invasion?
The maps currently available in the CoD MW2 Beta Invasion mode are Sariff Bay and Sa’id. They are both enormous maps that make good use of the brand-new swimming mechanic in Modern Warfare 2.
While there are only two maps available for Invasion mode in the MW2 Beta, their size and variety of locations will make replaying them an interesting experience.
How Does the AI Work in MW2 Invasion Mode?
In Invasion mode, each side has an additional 20 AI combatants fighting for them. They will parachute into the match and fight against the opposing team.
Human players will be marked by their traditional triangle shapes on the mini-map. However, AI-controlled companions will be marked by a circle instead.
According to the Call of Duty blog, the AI exists to “add atmosphere and provide the sense of a living, breathing world.” At the very least, they bolster the map and your team significantly.
Tips & Strategies For Winning Invasion Mode in MW2
If you want to get ahead in Invasion mode during the MW2 Beta, then you should use these tips:
- AI combatants are everywhere. Try not to get too distracted by them as they offer fewer points per kill
- Keep your eye on the sky, as taking down UAVs and Gunships can net you more points than a regular kill
- Use vehicles with teammates when you can, as they act as decent cover and a great way to get plenty of kills
- Stick with your squad, as attempting to go alone will only see you killed by the overwhelming AI
- Try to capture the care packages that drop intermittently, as they’ll give you a killstreak reward
- Be aware of your surroundings; the maps are huge and multi-layered, meaning enemies can be hidden on rooftops or in windows
Of course, it also helps to get used to the maps you’ll be fighting in. While there are only two currently available, more maps are expected to come to MW2 multiplayer down the line.
Hopefully, with the introduction of the Invasion mode and new maps, CoD fans will begin to warm to the game as there was a lot wrong with the MW2 Beta initially.