Gun Game is a popular party mode where every kill will progress players to a new gun from the MW2 roster.
The winning player is the first to eliminate an enemy with each of the 18 available weapons, ending with the Throwing Knife.
The game lasts until either one player eliminates an enemy with each of the mode’s weapon roster, or the 10-minute timer runs out.
All players will progress through the same list of 18 weapons, ensuring that the game is fair despite its chaotic free-for-all nature. Getting ahead often requires a few kills with some of the game’s trickier weapons, allowing others to catch up.
Melee kills will not count towards your progress, but they will set the defeated enemy back to their previous weapon, making it harder for them to advance.
Since matches could be over in a matter of minutes if a player gets on a hot streak, Gun Game is potentially the best mode to finish your Integrity challenge and unlock the new Crossbow!
Gun Game first debuted in Call of Duty: Black Ops. It has since been one of the most popular modes in COD history.
How to Play Gun Game in MW2
- Boot up Modern Warfare 2
- Press Skip to close the Message of the Day pop-up
- Gun Game may be found under the ‘What’s Hot’ category on the front page. If so, select it and you’re good to go.
- If not, select Modern Warfare 2 from the Games list to choose from all possible playlists.
- Scroll through the ‘Featured playlists’ until you find Gun Game.
- Select the mode, and you can now search for a lobby and get playing!
If Gun Game isn’t visible in either the Featured or Multiplayer lists, Infinity Ward may have rotated the playlist out for the time being.
If this is the case, or if you want to play the mode with friends, there’s only one option in Modern Warfare 2:
How to Play Gun Game in MW2 Private Match
Standard online multiplayer with Gun Game does not allow you to join with a party. Therefore, if you want to play with friends here is what you need to do:
- On the MW2 main menu, scroll down once from Featured to Multiplayer.
- At the end of the list of Multiplayer options, you will see Private Match as shown in the image below.
- Select Private Match → Create Private Match.
- Then press R1/RB once to go to Alternate Modes.
- Select Gun Game.
- Change any other settings you wish such as match length or the map and then hit Start Match.
How to Win Gun Game in MW2
The first player to get a kill with each of the 18 weapons in Gun Game will be declared the winner.
Alternatively, if no player manages to get a kill with every weapon, the user that has made the most progress through the weapon list when the 10-minute timer runs out will be the winner.
If a player gets on a roll right from the get-go, however, the game could be over in a matter of minutes.
Also Gun Game does not affect Kills, Deaths, or your Win/Loss ratio in the Combat Record.
Check out MW2’s other new Season 2 game modes below: