The Malady of the Soul series of side quests offers a more interesting take on Diablo 4’s side activities, with interesting NPC encounters and a deeper narrative than the average side quest you’ll find early on.
Three quests are associated with the Malady of the Soul quest chain, each offering a decent amount of rewards – Malady of the Soul, Depths of Despair, and Faith in Blood. We cover all you need to know to get through them here.
How to Start the Malady of the Soul Quest Chain
You can start the Malady of the Soul quest chain by talking to Sister Octavia in the central hub town of Kyovashad in the Fractured Peaks region.
She is found South-East of the Kyovoshad Waypoint, standing outside a wooden house.
As Diablo 4’s side quests scale to your level, you can be at any level to initiate the Malady of the Soul.
You must have at least completed the game’s Prologue before Sister Octavia’s side quest icon appears on the map.
Malady of the Soul Quest Guide
To complete the Malady of the Soul, you’ll need to place Sister Octavia’s Holy Chalice near a possessed child and defeat the Demon that will emerge.
Here are the steps required to complete the quest:
- Speak to Sister Octavia in Kyovoshad:
- She can be found near the Purveyor of Curiosities Vendor, discussing an exorcism with Petr, the father of a possessed boy
- Agree to help them and follow her and Petr into the Frigid Cellar nearby
- Place the Holy Chalice on the ground and observe the ritual:
- A wave of Carver enemies will appear, which you will have to defeat
- The demon Xul’goth will appear – a mini-boss that is harder to take out
- Defeat the demon to save the boy
- Talk with Sister Octavia outside the cellar:
- She thanks you for your help and says she may need it again
Malady of the Soul Quest Rewards
As with most Side Quests in Diablo 4, you’ll receive some gold and XP for your efforts, which are scaled to your current level. You’ll also receive 20+ Fractured Peaks Renown and a Herb Cache.
Depths of Despair Quest Guide
For Depths of Despair, you’ll need to head into the Kyovashad Sewers mini-dungeon to defeat a Demon to perform an exorcism.
Follow these steps:
- Return to Jyovashad and talk to Sister Octavia:
- You can find her talking to a woman named Kvera near the Purveyor of Curiosities Vendor in Kyovashad
- Agree to help Sister Octavia perform another exorcism for Kvera’s husband, Vasek
- Follow Sister Octavia and Kvera into the Ominous Cellar:
- Defeat the Carver enemies within the cellar
- Vasek will escape the cellar and you will hear a scream from outside
- Leave the cellar and talk to Kvera to find out that Vasek ambushed her and escaped
- Pursue Vasek into the Kyovashad Sewers mini-dungeon:
- Follow the trail of blood along the road until you reach the Kyovashad Sewers entrance
- Enter and fight your way through the sewers – you’ll find Vasek at the end
- Speak with Sister Octavia
- Place the Holy Chalice to begin the exorcism:
- This time, the demon Demotath will emerge – this is an Elite enemy with Chilling Wind and Frozen buffs
- Defeat the demon, killing Vasek in the process
- Leave the dungeon and speak with Sister Octavia outside:
- She expresses her gratitude and the quest will end
Depths of Despair Quest Rewards
This time you’ll get an Elixir Cache, 20+ Fractured Peaks Renown, as well as the usual gold and XP that is scaled to your level when completing the Depths of Despair.
Faith in Blood Quest Guide
To complete Faith in Blood, you’ll need to consecrate a new Holy Chalice to perform a final exorcism on Sister Octavia and defeat Demotath once and for all.
As the final part of the Malady of the Soul quest chain, Faith in Blood has a few more steps and takes longer to complete:
- Talk to Petr near the Kyovashad Waypoint:
- As a friend of Sister Octavia, he’ll inform you that she needs help
- Head to Kvera’s Cellar
- Enter the Ominous Cellar and speak with Sister Octavia:
- Demotath has possessed her and she needs your help to exorcise it
- You need to find a new Holy Chalice to perform the ritual
- Travel to Margrave:
- Speak with Priest Matvey near the pyre in the town’s center
- After mentioning Mother Prava, he’ll give you a new Holy Chalice
- The Chalice must be consecrated with the Blood of Sinners
- Fill the Chalice with blood:
- Head east of Margrave to the Western Tunnels
- Kill bandits to fill the chalice – they are highlighted as red dots on your map
- Once filled, head back to Priest Matvey to consecrate the Chalice
- Return to Kvera’s cellar:
- Speak to Petr outside and enter the cellar
- Place the Holy Chalice to begin the exorcism
- Fight Demotath and defeat the demon, once and for all
- Speak to Sister Octavia outside the cellar:
- Now, free of the demon, she thanks you and the quest comes to a close
Faith in Blood Quest Rewards
Sister Octavia will reward you with a rare Focus gear item: Sister Octavia’s Prayer Book. Only Sorcerers and Necromancers can take advantage of the item, but all players can benefit from the 20+ Fractured Peaks Renown and the player-scaled gold and XP for completing the quest.