To solve the chess puzzles in Hogwarts legacy, you will need to use the Transformation spell to turn an object into a chess piece and Wingardium Leviosa to move it to a checkmate position on the board.
There are currently two known chess puzzles throughout the world and they can be located here:
There are also three types of pieces you will discover when transforming objects:
- Pot – Rook
- Vase – Bishop
- Chair – Knight
Of course, knowing how chess pieces move will undoubtedly be a big help but if you do not understand how the game works, we’ll show you exactly where to move the pieces further down.
As a reward for completing these puzzles, you will receive some gear. If the reward is hidden, you will need to head to the Room of Requirement to reveal this unidentified item.
These chess puzzles can be discovered within treasure vaults, but they aren’t the only kind of vault challenge you’ll need to complete throughout the game. Make sure you know how to open each treasure vault in order to get the strongest gear!
Poidsear Coast Chess Puzzle Solution
The Poidsear Coast chess puzzle is located to the north of the Poidsear Coast region.
To solve this puzzle and unlock the chest for your reward, you will need to do the following:
- Use Depulso on the two rotating pillars outside the vault to open the door.
- Locate the object inside the room using Revelio.
- Use the Transformation spell on the pot to turn the object into a Rook.
- Use Wingardium Leviosa to move and place the piece directly on the slab that will checkmate the king.
- The king will shatter and the chest will appear in the room.
Marunweem Lake Chess Puzzle Solution
The Marunweem Lake chess puzzle can be located just south of the Marunweem Lake Floo Flame.
To solve this chess puzzle and unlock the chest for your reward, you will need to do the following:
- Head down the path outside the vault until you reach a hut.
- Inside the hut, use Alohomora to unlock the cage to access the cube.
- You may have to fight poachers so be ready to battle.
- You will also need Alohomora Level III which can be earned by finding every Demiguise Moon in Hogwarts Legacy.
- Use Wingardium Leviosa to carry the cube back to the vault and place it on top of the stone slab.
- Hit the cube with the Glacius spell to open the door.
- Head into the vault and follow the cavern until you reach the room with the chess board.
- Locate the object in the room using Revelio and use the Transformation spell to change into the chess piece.
- Place the object in the correct position to checkmate the king.
- The king will crumble and your reward will appear.
Of course, there are over 114 Treasure Vaults in Hogwarts Legacy, so if you discover any more chess puzzles, let us know and we can guide you on the solution to that one as well!
If you are looking for more puzzle solutions, check out our guide on how to complete every type of Merlin Trial.