Elden Ring can prove to be unforgiving for players that don’t apply their stats and attributes correctly, but thankfully players will be able to respec their characters.
When you first begin your adventure in Elden Ring, you’re given the option of a few different starting classes.
Once you’ve made a decision, it sets in motion your adventure in the Lands Between and the type of character you’ll be building. But sometimes, this ends up being far from the character you imagined.
Thankfully, there is a way to respec your attributes and rebuild your character!
Read More: Elden Ring: How to Leave a Message For Other Players
How to Respec in Elden Ring
To respec your character in Elden Ring, you’ll need to make your way to Liurnia of the Lakes with a Larval Tear and speak with Rennala, the Full Moon Queen.
Full Respec Step-By-Step Walkthrough:
- Obtain a Larval Tear.
- Make your way to Raya Lucaria Academy in Liurnia of the Lakes.
- Defeat Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon, if you haven’t already.
- Speak with Rennala and offer her a Larval Tear and 5,000 Runes to respec your character.
- Distribute your recovered points among each of the attributes.
What does a Larval Tear do precisely? Well, it allows players to reset all their stats and refund all the runes you’ve collected so far.
Once you’ve done this, you’re set. You’ve now successfully rebuilt your character.
That means players that started with a Strength-based build can now try out an Intelligence-based build like the Frostbite Mage with OP Frost damage.
Elden Ring allows players to cater their fighting style to them. Understanding the different stats and what they do is essential. But, if you’re someone that likes to go in blind, then obtaining the Larval Tear is necessary to help you respec when you reach a wall.
Some classes start with stats that already favor a certain playstyle. To find the best starting class for the build you’re looking to create, check out our Best Elden Ring Starting Class Guide.
Where to Find a Larval Tear in Elden Ring
You can find the first Larval Tear near the path east of the Agheel Lake South Site of Grace. There is a Lesser Runebear disguised as a Wandering Noble. Defeat it, and it will drop one.
Players will only be able to obtain 17 Larval Tears per playthrough. This may seem like a lot, but there are plenty of moments in Elden Ring that will require you to change things up.
You can see a detailed walkthrough of the location of all 17 Larval Tears in our guide here, along with a map for easy navigation.
How to Get to Rennala and Use a Larval Tear
Players can find Rennala, the Full Moon Queen at the Raya Lucaria Academy, where they can use a Larval Tear to respec their character.
If you’ve already defeated Rennala, then simply head to the Raya Lucaria Grand Library Site of Grace, and Rennala will be there waiting.
For those that haven’t met Rennala, then check out the walk-through below.
Rennala, the Full Moon Queen Location Guide
- Players need to travel to Liurna of the Lakes and find the flooded Academy Gate Town just north of the Liurnia Lake Shore Site of Grace. This is how players will find the Raya Lucaria Academy.
- Once players have reached a gate, they will find a map, the Meeting Place Map. Follow the map’s directions to an island guarded by Glintstone Dragon Smarag.
- Players will either need to fight the Glintstone Dragon Smarag or make their way around it stealthily. Either way, they need to get their hands on the Academy Glintstone Key. The key will be located on a masked dead body behind the Dragon.
- After obtaining the key and make your way to the South Raya Lucaria Gate. Examine the seal and it will transport to the Main Academy Gate. From here, you will be able to enter the Academy.
Check out this map to help you navigate the area and key points.
- From here, you will need to navigate through the Academy until you reach a large courtyard with a rolling ball to your right.
- Follow the path of the ball without getting hit.
- From here, you’ll be able to ride an elevator up to the library.
- Enter the library, and Rennala will be there waiting.
- If this is your first time here, you’ll need to defeat her before you can speak to her and respec.
And that’s how players can respec all their stats and refund all their runes. It’s a bit tricky, but if you’re looking to completely rebuild your character without having to restart your adventure, this is your best option.
Read More: Elden Ring: Every Known Spirit Ashes Summon + Locations
If you’re looking for a new Elden Ring build after you respec, then check some of these out: