Fortnite seems to be one of the last bastions of hope for preserving the wonderful art of local multiplayer and split-screen gameplay.
Fortunately, for those hoping to play Fortnite with a friend literally by their side, it couldn’t be any easier.
So, keep reading to discover how to play Fortnite’s local multiplayer and which game modes are available for it.
How to Play Split Screen in Fortnite
To play Fortnite in split-screen mode:
- Open Fortnite and wait until you see the Main Lobby.
- Turn on a second controller and select a user.
- Hold Triangle (PlayStation) or Y (Xbox) on the second controller to Log in
- Wait while Fortnite logs in Player 2.
- Once logged in, they will appear in the Lobby, and you can start playing.
- Split-Screen Mode will automatically turn on when you start a game.
Can You Play Fortnite Split Screen on Nintendo Switch?
No, Fortnite is not available to be played split screen on Nintendo Switch.
The split screen mode in Fortnite is only accessible on PlayStation and Xbox.
Can You Play Fortnite Split Screen on PC?
No, despite many PCs being more powerful than consoles, Fortnite is not able to be played in split screen mode on PC.
The split screen mode in Fortnite is only accessible on PlayStation and Xbox and is currently unavailable on PC, Nintendo Switch, or mobile devices.
What Modes Can Be Played in Split Screen?
Fortnite players can play the following modes in split screen with a second player:
- Battle Royale Duos
- Battle Royale Quads
- Zero Build Duos
- Zero Build Quads
The following modes cannot be played split screen:
- Save the World
- Limited-Time Modes
- Zero Build or Battle Royale Solos
It is worth noting that if either player disconnects or quits while playing in split-screen mode, the splot-screen session will end.
What’s more, users should note that they cannot share inventory using split-screen mode, though they can drop items for one another.
Why Isn’t Split Screen Working in Fortnite?
If you’re having issues with the Fortnite split screen mode, it is likely due to one of these issues:
- Your chosen game mode is not available in split screen
- Both accounts must have the same language setting to play split screen
- Split-screen mode is not supported on mobile, Nintendo Switch, or PC
- Your internet connection must be stable to play in split screen