Wondering what XL Candy is and how to get it fast in Pokemon GO? Here’s everything you need to know:
Pokemon GO recently lowered its level requirement for earning XL Candy in Pokemon GO from 40 to 31. Now, any player who is Level 31 and above has a chance of encountering XL Candy – but what is this special candy and what does it do?
The answer is actually pretty simple.
What Is XL Candy in Pokemon GO?
XL Candy, like regular Candy, is an item required to level up a specific Pokemon in Pokemon GO. The difference is that while normal candy can be used to take a Pokemon’s CP up to a max of level 40, XL Candy allows you to push them further beyond that cap.
You may also notice that XL Rare Candy is also in the game now, mainly unlocked when players level up past 40. However, recently a few players have been getting Rare Candy XL from Raid Battles too!
These special variants allow players to convert the Rare Candy into an XL Candy of their choice.
How to Use XL Candy in Pokemon GO
To use XL Candy, simply Power Up your Pokemon as normal. Once they’ve hit their maximum CP cap at Level 40, the game will start requiring XL Candy alongside Stardust for the boost.
The first few levels will cost 10 XL Candy each, but the cost soon rises even higher.
It takes a total of 296 XL Candy to power up a Pokemon from Level 40 all the way to Level 50, or 360 XL Candy for a Shadow Pokemon.
How to Get XL Candy in Pokemon GO
Now the all-important question is, how do you get XL Candy in Pokemon GO? Previously, you had to have hit Level 40 to do so, but in the Season of GO, that requirement has now dropped to just Level 31.
Any player from Level 31 upward can now find XL Candy when performing the following actions:
- Catching a Wild Pokemon (1-3 XL Candy depending on CP)
- Catching Mythical & Legendary Pokemon (1-3 XL Candy)
- Trading Pokemon has a low chance to give both players an XL Candy (provided they’re over Level 31)
- Hatching 5km/7km Eggs gives up to 16 XL Candy (Often much lower)
- Hatching 10km/12km Eggs gives up to 24 XL Candy (Often much lower)
- Walking with your Buddy Pokemon can give XL Candy at random (seems to be more frequent the higher level they are)
- Transferring a Pokemon can also reward a single XL Candy at random.
- Should you choose, you can convert 100 regular Candy to 1 XL Candy.
- Using the new Pokemon GO Mega Evolution system will also give you a boosted chance to get XL Candy when catching ‘mons of the same type as your evolved Mega. However, this only occurs to High or Max Tier Megas.
Fastest Method to Get XL Candy Quickly
If you’re looking to make your Pokemon as strong as possible, you’ll want to earn XL Candy fast. However, the best way to earn this rare item is simply by catching Pokemon and transferring them.
Focus on catching higher CP Pokemon, or the evolved form of the one you’re Candy farming. And if you’ve got a friend with you, trade your new catches for a chance at yet another XL Candy.
Don’t forget to check out the current egg pools too, to see if the Pokemon you’re looking for XL Candy for is present.
Be sure to utilize your Megas too! If you used a High or Max-tier Mega Blastoise during the recent Water Festival, you no doubt have a lot of XL Candy for all your water types right now!
Why not pay attention to what Pokemon GO Spotlight Hours are dropping this month, and Mega-Evolve accordingly?