Many Call of Duty Modern Warfare and Warzone players often complain of lag spikes whilst playing online.
The performance issues become incredibly frustrating when the game starts lagging in crucial moments. The game often starts stuttering after a significant update, when shooting, when using a heartbeat sensor, and other important situations.
Here are a few tips regarding how to fix lag in Modern Warfare and Call of Duty Warzone.
Lag essentially makes the game unplayable as it delays your actions; this is enough to ruin a competitive match completely. Lag is most known to cause stuttering, drops in framerates, and hit marker delays.
However, if the lag is too bad it'll usually remove you from the match. As you can see from the error message above, if you're booted from a match, it'll mention something along the lines of:
Lost connection to Host/Server. Connection timed out.
Why is Warzone and Modern Warfare So Laggy?
There's a variety of reasons why you might experience latency issues or lag in Warzone and Modern Warfare.
While it might sometimes be on your end, it can also be a problem on Activision's side of things. Usually, if it's not on your end, there's not too much you can do to help combat the lag. Instead, you'll probably have to wait until Activision fixes any issues.
Here's a few reasons why your matches might be so laggy.
- DDOS attacks against network providers, including Activision.
- Your Internet Service Provider might be experiencing problems.
- An influx of players could prompt issues.
Potential Fixes for PS4, Xbox One, and PC
Activision rolled out a fix for connection issues recently, but this hasn't fully resolved it for all players.
With this in mind, the following fixes aren't guaranteed to work - but it's worth giving them a try nonetheless.
- Restart your console or application. This doesn't work every time, but we've found this tip to help resolve lag or server issues sometimes.
- Change your wireless connection to a wired connection.
- Before each match begins, check your ping. If it's very high, it's safe to assume you'll experience lag. That said, you might want to try starting matches only when the ping is normal.
- Turn off any applications that might be running in the background.
- Enable QoS. Some routers come with this option, others don't.
- Check your ISP is up and running well.
Check your internet speed but remember, this game only requires a few MB download speed to function properly. More importantly it's worth looking into which servers you are connecting to and if your ISP is blocking ports. How your packets are being prioritized along with Quality of Service (QoS) is very important.
Clearing your cache can sometimes be a great way of improving performance:
How to clear cache on Xbox One, PS4 and PC
Technical Lag Walkthrough For PC, Xbox One and PS4
Check real-time Server Status for lag issues
Lag is often the result of a known server problem.
Warzone Server Status
Modern Warfare Server Status
Got an error code?
How to fix Modern Warfare and Warzone Error Codes
If you're still experiencing lag in Modern Warfare and Call of Duty Warzone on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC, you can check out the Activision Support blog for further information.