There are plenty of difficult boss fights for Kratos to face in God of War Ragnarok, but one of the toughest is Nidhogg.
During Kratos’ journey through God of War’s Nine Realms, you’ll come up against a variety of enemies. One of those is Nidhogg, the protector of the World Tree.
You’ll encounter this monster during The Reckoning mission, and it can be a challenging fight to complete.
How to Beat Nidhogg in God of War Ragnarok
The best way to defeat Nidhogg in God of War Ragnarok is by using your Blades of Chaos and your shield often. The Blades of Chaos are great as they consistently hit Nidhogg thanks to their decent range.
Nidhogg can appear to be fairly fast, however, its attacks are all well-telegraphed. There are a few major attacks you’ll need to watch out for though.
Firstly, Nidhogg will spike its tail down into the ground. When it holds its tail above you, red rings will appear. Evade, and when it crashes down, you can double-tap L1 to shield bash, and stun it.
The next attack you need to look out for is when Nidhogg sucks in rocks. it will either spit these out in a bunch of chunks toward you, which can be blocked or evaded, or it will spit a giant boulder at you, which can be seen with red rings.
You should watch for Freya’s sigils that she places near Nidhogg. You’ll need to either throw your axe at them or ignite them with the Blades of Chaos. This will stun Nidhogg, allowing for some free hits.
If you prefer to use Kratos’ frosty axe, here’s where to find Frozen Flames to upgrade the Leviathan Axe.
Tips to Defeat Nidhogg in God of War Ragnarok
Here are some helpful tips for you to use when fighting Nidhogg:
- Focus all of your attacks on the head. It’s the easiest spot to reach and it’s also the largest target.
- This boss is in two phases. During the first, you’ll be fighting it on your own. It’s easier to evade and survive than it is to risk parries or blocks.
- In the second phase, Freya will help deal damage to Nidhogg. You won’t need to worry about pressing Square for her to attack.
- Watch out when Nidhogg creates realm tears. It will stab its tail through it and attack you across the arena.
- We recommend using Kratos’ Valor bar instead of Rage since it means you can heal frequently and not need to repeat the boss fight,
If the fight is still too difficult, you may need to change the difficulty setting in God of War Ragnarok.