If you’re ready to jump into Pokemon Legends: Arceus, it’s important to know how to catch your first Pokemon!
Whether you’re a long-term fan or a new player, you’ll need to know how to catch Pokemon in the new open-world Legends: Arceus. Of course, this time around, catching Pokemon is relatively different from the old mainline titles.
Gone are the days when players would need to enter a lengthy battle animation before weakening the wild Pokemon. Now, Arceus is speeding up the process quite considerably, as players aim to fill up their Hisuian Pokedex.
Pokemon Legends Arceus: How to Catch Pokemon Guide
To catch a Pokemon in Pokemon Legends: Arceus, simply crouch and slowly approach your target, equip a Poke Ball by toggling to it with L or R and pressing X to select, then throw it at them.
Best Tips to Help You Catch Pokemon
- It’s important to note that Pokemon will respond differently to the trainer based on their temperament. Relaxed Pokemon like Bidoof will simply allow trainers to throw Poke Balls at them for an easy catch!
- However, with Skittish or Aggressive Pokemon, you’ll face more of an issue.
- For the more timid creatures, you’ll need to utilize stealth to get close to them. Hiding in Tall Grass or using a Smoke Bomb will help keep you out of sight.
- You can also attract creatures using items such as Oran Berries. Throw the Berry near to a Wild Pokemon and it may take time to eat it, taking its attention away from you.
- Then, throw your Poke Ball into the Pokemon’s back for a higher chance at catching them!
- If an Aggressive Pokemon breaks free from your first stealth catch attempt, it’s time to battle. Select a Pokemon from your team and throw their ball close to the enemy Pokemon.
- This will initiate battle. Then, you’ll want to lower the enemy’s health and/or inflict status conditions such as Sleep, before throwing another Poke Ball to catch the creature.
Bear in mind that different Poke Balls have different capture rates too, some dependent on the Pokemon you’re catching. Crafting a Heavy Ball at a Workbench, for example, will give you a ball that won’t fly as far, but is more effective at catching unsuspecting Wild Pokemon!
And don’t miss out on catching more Starter Pokemon using this new Arceus mechanic!
This official gameplay from Pokemon Legends: Arceus will show you how to catch Pokemon in-game.