To win against the Team GO Rocket Boss, Giovanni, in Pokemon GO, you’ll need some extremely powerful Pokemon to counter the Shadow Pokemon that he uses.
Giovanni always uses Shadow Persian first and Shadow Regigigas last, but the second Pokemon in his battle team is a random one out of three possible options.
To help you defeat this powerful boss, we’ve got a list of all of the Pokemon that Giovanni can use, as well as the best counters for them.
Every Pokemon Giovanni Can Use in Pokemon GO
Giovanni always uses Shadow Persian as his first Pokemon and Shadow Regigigas as his final Pokemon.
However, the Pokemon he uses in the second position on his battle team is randomly chosen out of three potential choices:
- Pokemon 1
- Pokemon 2
- Pokemon 3
Best Counters to Defeat Team GO Rocket Boss Giovanni
Shadow Persian Counters
The best Pokemon to counter Giovanni’s Shadow Persian are Lucario, Buzzwole, and Machamp, as they all have strong Fighting-type attacks that deal a lot of damage.
It is essential you exploit Shadow Persian’s weakness to Fighting-type attacks as it has no other weaknesses.
Shadow Nidoking Counters
Mewtwo, Kyogre, and Espeon are some of the best Pokemon to counter Giovanni’s Shadow Nidoking in Pokemon GO.
Shadow Nidoking is weak to Ground, Ice, Psychic, and Water-type attacks, so there are also plenty of other Pokemon that are effective for this battle!
Shadow Garchomp Counters
The best counters to defeat Shadow Garchomp in Pokemon GO include Galarian Darmanitan, Glaceon, and Alolan Ninetails.
Shadow Garchomp is double weak to Ice, so Pokemon with strong Ice-type attacks are the best for this battle.
Shadow Kingler Counters
Xurkitree, Zekrom, and Zarude are some of the best counters to use against Shadow Kingler in Pokemon GO.
This is because Shadow Kingler is weak to Electric and Grass-type attacks.
Shadow Regigigas Counters
The best Shadow Regigigas counters in Pokemon GO battles against Giovanni are Lucario, Terrakion, Conkeldurr, Keldeo, and Machamp.
As Shadow Regigigas is only weak to Fighting-type attacks, it is essential that you counter this weakness!
Best Team to Use Against Giovanni in Pokemon GO
The best team to use against Giovanni in Pokemon GO is:
- Galarian Darmanitan
This battle team ensures that you can counter almost all of the Pokemon that Giovanni can use. Even if there are no direct Shadow Kingler counters, Keldeo can deal with it quite well as it resists Water-type attacks.
Don’t worry if you don’t have these Pokemon – you can substitute each of them for another strong Pokemon of the same type. For instance, you could use Terrakion or Lucario instead of Machamp or Keldeo, and Glaceon instead of Galarian Darmanitan.
How to Beat Giovanni in Pokemon GO
This is the best strategy to defeat Giovanni in Pokemon GO:
- Put a Fighting-type such as Machamp as your lead Pokemon
- This will let you easily Shadow Persian and force Giovanni into using his shields up early
- Next, counter the Shadow Pokemon Giovanni uses second and defeat it
- If he uses Shadow Nidoking or Shadow Garchomp, switch to Galarian Darmanitan (or your Ice-type alternative)
- If he uses Shadow Kingler, switch to Keldeo (or your Fighting-type alternative)
- If Giovanni uses Shadow Kingler, it can be difficult to win with the recommended lineup. Feel free to retry, but swap out your Ice-type Pokemon for a strong Electric or Grass-type like Xurkitree or Zarude
- Finally, defeat Giovanni’s Shadow Reigigas using your Fighting-type Pokemon
- Even if both of your Fighting-types get defeated, your other Pokemon should still be able to finish off the battle!
Using this tactic and team composition when battling Giovanni should help you to victory!
How to Find Team GO Rocket Boss Giovanni in Pokemon GO
To find Team GO Rocket Boss Giovanni in Pokemon GO, you need to first equip a Super Rocket Radar, which can be obtained by defeating all three GO Rocket Leaders during the A Shadowy Disturbance Research.
Then, you can check Team GO Rocket PokeStops and Balloons nearby to see if Giovanni is there!
- Get a Super Rocket Radar by beating all three GO Rocket Leaders.
- Equip the Super Rocket Radar in your Item Bag if you haven’t already.
- While the Super Rocket Radar is equipped, visit Team GO Rocket PokeStops and Balloons to see if Giovanni is there.
- If it’s a Decoy Grunt, you don’t have to fight it. You can leave and visit another PokeStop or Balloon later to check for Giovanni.
What Pokemon Do You Get for Beating Giovanni in Pokemon GO?
You always get a Shadow Regigigas encounter for beating Team GO Rocket Boss Giovanni in Pokemon GO.
Whenever you defeat Giovanni, you will get the Shadow Legendary Pokemon which he uses third in his battle team. At the moment, it is Regigigas.
The Shadow Legendary Pokemon that Giovanni uses will change with the next Pokemon GO Team GO Rocket event.
Rewards for Beating Team Rocket Boss Giovanni in Pokemon GO
For beating Giovanni in Pokemon GO, players will get an encounter with Shadow Regigigas, 5000 Stardust, and three other rewards, which are selected at random.
- Shadow Regigigas encounter
- 5000 Stardust
- 3 of the following randomly selected rewards:
- 4 Revives
- 4 Max Revives
- 4 Hyper Potions
- 4 Max Potions
- Unova Stone
By the time you have defeated all of the Team GO Rocket Leaders and Boss, you’re bound to have a few 12km Eggs. Here’s every Pokemon in 12km Eggs right now!