When deciding which of the four Houses you should pick in Hogwarts Legacy, go with either your favorite if you already have one in mind or the one with your favorite Common Room and color scheme.
It does not matter which House you pick, as it has no effect on the game’s story or the quests you receive.
So, you don’t have to pick Slytherin just to be evil in Hogwarts Legacy, for example. You can choose any House without fearing missing out on content.
Here’s everything we know about House Sorting in Hogwarts Legacy:
- Every House in Hogwarts Legacy
- Can You Choose Your House in Hogwarts Legacy?
- How Does House Sorting Work in Hogwarts Legacy?
- How to Pick Your House Before Starting Hogwarts Legacy
- Does Hogwarts Legacy Have a Sorting Hat Quiz?
- What Each Answer Means in the Sorting Ceremony in Hogwarts Legacy
- Every Difference Between Houses in Hogwarts Legacy
- What Is the Best House in Hogwarts Legacy?
- Does Each House Get Different Quests in Hogwarts Legacy?
- Can You Change Your House in Hogwarts Legacy?
Every House in Hogwarts Legacy
There are four different Houses for you to choose from in Hogwarts Legacy:
You will get to pick which House you’re in during the Sorting Ceremony at the beginning of the game. Each House is available from the start and does not have to be unlocked.
Can You Choose Your House in Hogwarts Legacy?
Yes, you can choose your House in Hogwarts Legacy during the Sorting Ceremony that happens around 40 minutes into the game.
You can also choose which House you’ll be sorted into before playing Hogwarts Legacy. If you do, you’ll be rewarded with exclusive cosmetics.
You will have as long as you want to choose which House you’ll be sorted into, so don’t worry about being rushed.
The game will give you a description of each House and will ask you to confirm your choice once you’ve decided. You can cancel your selection before confirming and pick another House if its description doesn’t match you.
While this is an incredibly long game, it won’t take long to settle into Hogwarts and be sorted into your House.
How Does House Sorting Work in Hogwarts Legacy?
House Sorting is done through the Sorting Ceremony in Hogwarts Legacy. When you reach Hogwarts, you will undergo the Sorting Ceremony and must answer two questions.
Once you’ve answered the questions, you’ll be suggested a House. However, you can then choose a different House if you want.
- Question #1 – The Sorting Hat will first say, “You come here with preferences and preconceptions – certain expectations,” to which you can answer either “I can’t wait to start classes” or “I can’t wait to get out and explore.”
- Question #2 – The Sorting Hat will then ask, “I detect something in you. A certain sense of – hmm – what is it?” to which you can answer “Daring,” “Ambition,” “Loyalty,” or “Curiosity.”
You can also choose your House before playing Hogwarts Legacy by linking your Wizarding World account to your Warner Bros account.
If you do this, you will just be asked the first question. Pick either “I can’t wait to start classes” or “I can’t wait to get out and explore,” as both will lead to the Sorting Hat suggesting the House you chose on the Wizarding World website.
How to Pick Your House Before Starting Hogwarts Legacy
To pick your House before starting Hogwarts Legacy, you must first sign up on the Wizarding World website.
Then, select the Discover Your Hogwarts House section in your account to start and answer the quiz. You’ll be sorted into a House based on your answers.
Here are the full instructions for completing the House sorting quiz on the Wizarding World website:
- Sign up on the Wizarding World Website.
- Click Sign Up Now at the bottom of the login page.
- Complete the three steps:
- Enter your date of birth.
- Enter an email and a password for the account.
- Put in your first and last name.
- Once signed into your account, click the Discover Your Hogwarts House section under Things to Do on the right.
- You don’t need to complete other sections on the site like “Discover Your Patronus,” but you can if you want to.
- When the new page appears, click Get Sorted Now.
- Complete the quiz by answering each of the questions.
- There are no right or wrong answers. So, choose based on your own personality.
- Once you’ve completed the quiz, select Continue.
- You’ll then be informed of which House you’ve been sorted into.
- If you don’t like the House you get, you’ll need to delete your account and start again, as there is no way of changing your House once you’ve been sorted into it.
Does Hogwarts Legacy Have a Sorting Hat Quiz?
Yes, there is a Sorting Hat quiz in Hogwarts Legacy, although it is very brief. The Sorting Hat will ask you just two questions.
You can choose either answer for the first question as it doesn’t matter, while the answer you choose to the second question will determine which House the Sorting Hat suggests.
Of course, you can always take the Sorting Hat quiz on the Wizarding World website first. Then, link your accounts before starting a new game, and the Sorting Hat will suggest the House you got on the Wizarding World quiz.
What Each Answer Means in the Sorting Ceremony in Hogwarts Legacy
Here are what each answer means during the Sorting Ceremony in Hogwarts Legacy:
- For the first question, it does not matter which option you choose. So, pick either “I can’t wait to start classes” or “I can’t wait to get out and explore.”
- For the second question, you’ll be given four possible options. Each one will lead to the Sorting Hat suggesting a different House:
- Daring = Gryffindor
- Ambition = Slytherin
- Loyalty = Hufflepuff
- Curiosity = Ravenclaw
Do the Answers Matter When Picking a House?
Yes, the answer to the Sorting Hat’s second question matter, as it determines which House the game will suggest to you.
However, the answers to the Sorting Hat’s first question have zero effect on the Sorting Ceremony. You can pick whichever option you want.
Every Difference Between Houses in Hogwarts Legacy
There are several differences between each of the Houses in Hogwarts Legacy:
- Unique Common Rooms
- Color changes on clothes
- All NPCs can be interacted with regardless of which House you pick, but they will appear more often in their own Common Rooms.
- A unique quest for each House
- Some unique dialogue referencing your House
Beyond this, there are no other differences. The House you choose has no effect on the story and will, therefore, not influence which Hogwarts Legacy’s ending you get.
Additionally, you will be able to interact with every companion in Hogwarts Legacy regardless of which House you pick. So, for example, if you choose Slytherin, you’ll still get access to Poppy Sweeting’s quests.
Here is a complete breakdown of the differences between each House:
- Slytherin Common Room found in the Slytherin Dungeons.
- Green and silver color scheme on Hogwarts-related clothing.
- Sebastian Sallow companion is also in Slytherin.
- Unique quest “Scrope’s Last Hope.”
You can check out the Slytherin Common Room in the video below:
- Hufflepuff Common Room found in the Hufflepuff Basement.
- Yellow and black color scheme on Hogwarts-related clothing.
- Poppy Sweeting companion is also in Hufflepuff.
- Unique quest, “Prisoner of Love,” which takes players to Azkaban.
You can check out the Hufflepuff Common Room in the video below:
- Ravenclaw Common Room found in the Ravenclaw Tower.
- Blue and bronze color scheme on Hogwarts-related clothing.
- No companions are in Ravenclaw, but several unique NPCs are.
- Unique quest “Ollivander’s Heirloom.”
You can check out the Ravenclaw Common Room in the video below:
- Gryffindor Common Room found in the Gryffindor Tower.
- Blue and bronze color scheme on Hogwarts-related clothing.
- Natsai Onai companion is also in Gryffindor
- Unique quest “The Hunt for the Missing Pages.”
You can check out the Gryffindor Common Room in the video below:
Does Your House Matter in Hogwarts Legacy?
The House you pick doesn’t matter in Hogwarts Legacy, as the story will be unaffected by whichever one you’re sorted into.
The only reason your House matters is for roleplaying and immersion reasons. Aside from a minor unique quest for each of them, Houses do not offer gameplay or story benefits and therefore do not matter.
What Is the Best House in Hogwarts Legacy?
Since there are no gameplay advantages, the best House in Hogwarts Legacy is whichever you end up choosing, whether that be Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Slytherin, or Ravenclaw.
While each House offers a unique minor quest, no House offers any gameplay advantages over the others or any unique benefits outside of their own common room.
For this reason, there is no definitive best House in Hogwarts Legacy.
Does Each House Get Different Quests in Hogwarts Legacy?
Aside from a minor unique quest, each House in Hogwarts Legacy has access to the same quests. For example, you can complete the Hufflepuff companion quest even if you pick Slytherin, Gryffindor, or Ravenclaw.
Every side quest in Hogwarts Legacy is available to you regardless of which House you choose.
Can You Change Your House in Hogwarts Legacy?
No, once you’ve been sorted into a House, you cannot change it. The only way to do so would be to start the game entirely or load a save from before the Sorting Ceremony.
We recommend you save before taking the container from the basin in Gringotts Bank. This is the last time you can save before the Sorting Ceremony.