Hogwarts Legacy is initially set in 1890, meaning that Avalanche Software’s new game takes place 90 years before the birth of Harry Potter in the Wizarding World’s timeline.
At this point in time, future headmaster Albus Dumbledore is still two years away from receiving his own invitation to Hogwarts.
What’s interesting about this new game is that it’s one of the earliest showcases of the Wizarding World that we’ve ever seen.
In this side-by-side comparison of Hogwarts Legacy vs the Harry Potter movies you’ll see just how different (yet familiar) the world was looking back in the 1800s!
Even the new Fantastic Beasts films only take place in the 1920s, well after the events of Hogwarts Legacy.
Hogwarts Legacy Timeline
- 1881 – Dumbledore is Born
- 1883 – Grindelwald is Born
- 1890 – Hogwarts Legacy’s Story Takes Place
- 1897 – Newt Scamander is Born
- 1892 – Dumbledore Attends Hogwarts
- 1908 – Newt Scamander Attends Hogwarts
- 1926 – Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Takes Place
- 1927 – Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald Takes Place
- 1926 – Tom Riddle is Born
- 1932 – Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore Takes Place
- 1969/1970 – Dumbledoor Becomes Headmaster at Hogwarts
- 1980 – Harry Potter is Born
- 1991 – Harry Potter Attends Hogwarts – The Sorcerer’s Stone Takes Place
- 1992 – The Chamber of Secrets Takes Place
- 1993 – The Prisoner of Azkaban Takes Place
- 1994 – The Goblet of Fire Takes Place
- 1995 – The Order of the Phoenix Takes Place
- 1996 – The Half-Blood Prince Takes Place
- 1997 – The Deathly Hallows Takes Place
- 1998 – The Battle of Hogwarts / Lord Voldemort Dies
Is Hogwarts Legacy’s Story Canon?
Hogwarts Legacy’s story is not canon to the Harry Potter lore, seeing as it’s not written by J.K. Rowling, the author of the original series.
However, the game has been carefully researched by the team at Portkey Games to ensure that it fits into all existing canon material.
Read More: How Long Does Hogwarts Legacy Take to Beat?
The game aims to give fans a new way to immerse themselves in the Wizarding World, even if it doesn’t officially have an impact on the lore itself.
And with an insane amount of sidequests available to Hogwarts Legacy students, we’re sure to see the world in a whole new light by the end of the school year.
“This is not a new story from J.K. Rowling,” the official Hogwarts Legacy FAQs read. “However we have collaborated closely with her team on all aspects of the game to ensure it remains in line with the magical experiences fans expect.”
Does Hogwarts Legacy Take Place Before Fantastic Beasts?
Yes, Hogwarts Legacy is set in the late 1800s, whereas the first Fantastic Beasts film doesn’t take place until 1926.
Newt Scamander himself isn’t born until 1908 in the Harry Potter timeline, which should be between 6-7 years after the events of Avalanche Software’s new game.
Don’t forget, you can unlock some freebies in Hogwarts Legacy right now – you won’t want to miss out!