It can be hard to figure out where to go next in the Lands Between. Here’s the game’s best route based on Elden Ring’s story progression, and what level you should be to stand a chance in each place!
FromSoftware has never made life easy for their gamers. If the brutal difficulty doesn’t wear you down, the lack of clear direction can test your patience.
The sheer scale of Elden Ring led the Japanese developer to introduce the ‘Guidance of Grace’ feature, showing a vague direction that the player should head to reach the next significant in-game event.
However, this guidance isn’t always crystal clear. In fact, after a while, you might forget that those golden rays even have a purpose beyond adding to the fantasy aesthetic.
So, we’re here to help with a step-by-step guide explaining the preferred order that you should visit each region, plus the recommended level to survive each… without making things too easy.
Elden Ring’s Recommended Story Route
First off, you don’t need to follow this order like your life depends on it. Elden Ring, like most FromSoftware titles, offers complete freedom to tackle the many bosses at your own pace.
However, it is possible to miss – or potentially even lock yourself out of – some quests, boss fights, or other interesting discoveries. So, if you want to thoroughly explore the Lands Between in one playthrough, consider taking the following path:
- West Limgrave – Level 1-15
- East Limgrave & Mistwood – Level 10-20
- Weeping Peninsula – Level 20-30
- Roundtable Hold
- Stormveil Castle (Legacy Dungeon) – Level 30-40
Stormveil Castle is a masterclass in level design, but here’s how you can skip straight through to the next location if Margit & Godrick are giving you a hard time.
- South Liurnia of the Lakes – Level 40-50
- Raya Lucaria Academy (Legacy Dungeon) – Level 50-60
- East Liurnia of the Lakes – Level 50-60
- Ainsel River (Underground) – Level 50-60
- West Liurnia of the Lakes – Level 50-60
- Siofra River (Underground) – Level 50-60
- South Caelid – Level 60-70
Caelid is home to the might General Radahn, who can be a real challenge to take down. If he’s stalling your progress, check out our boss guide so you can defeat him and grab him Great Rune!
- Nokron, Eternal City/Siofra Aqueducts (Underground) – Level 70-80
- Deeproot Depths (Underground) – Level 80-90
- Lake of Rot/Nokstella (Underground) – Level 80-100
- Altus Plateau – Level 60-80
- Mt. Gelmir – Level 80-100
Reaching Altus Plateau is a significant milestone in Elden Ring’s progression. Take a look at our guide on how to access this initially unreachable location!
- Leyndell, Royal Capital – Level 90-110
- Forbidden Lands – Level 100-120
- Mountaintops of the Giants – Level 100-120
- Consecrated Snowfield – Level 100-120
- Mohgwyn Palace (Underground) – Level 110-140
- Miquella’s Haligtree – Level 120-150
Mohgwyn Palace is a very challenging area. If you’re running a Bleed-based build, check out this insanely powerful mask that you can acquire at this location!
- Crumbling Farum Azula – Level 120-150
- Leyndell, Ashen Capital – Level 120-150
- Subterranean Shunning-Grounds (Underground) – Level 120-150
- Endings (Multiple) – Level 130+
And that’s Elden Ring in the bag. Remember, this order is just a guide. But, sticking to the level recommendations may save your skin!
If you’re looking for an explanation of all of Elden Ring’s endings, we’ve got them all here, plus what you need to do to unlock them!
Or, if you’re looking for a quest that will take you to most of the locations on this list, talk to Ranni the Witch and she’ll send you on this epic adventure and reward you with a legendary weapon!
Wednesday 28th of December 2022
I don't know how 26 is that late game, as you need to do it before you clear out 20 otherwise Melina dies.
Saturday 13th of August 2022
Cool..... let me look another page that will show me what those locations are....