While it’s totally missable, Knight Bernahl’s questline can save you some trouble with future boss fights. Here’s how to complete Knight Bernahl’s questline in Elden Ring.
One of the hardest boss fights in Elden Ring is the Godskin Duo. This difficult fight can be found later on, in Crumbling Farum Azula.
But the Godskin Duo boss fight, and the Maliketh, the Black Blade boss fight can be made easier with the completion of the Knight Bernahl questline.
Here’s how to complete the Knight Bernahl questline in Elden Ring, and earn the Blasphemous Claw reward, as well as some other awesome loot!
Knight Bernahl’s First Location
You’ll first find Knight Bernahl fairly early into the game, in the Warmaster’s Shack in Limgrave.
Follow these steps to start his quest:
- Visit Knight Bernahl in the daytime, especially if you’re early in the game, as there’s a Bell Bearing Hunter that only arrives at night. He’s fairly difficult, so try and avoid that.
- Speak to him, and he’ll ask you a question. Pick the “My faith holds firm” option, and he will be pleased. He sells Ashes of War, so if you need some, you can buy some from him!
Volcano Manor and Recusant Bernahl
For the next step in the quest, you’ll need to head to Volcano Manor. This is in the northwestern part of the map, in the area of Mt. Gelmir. Here’s our guide on how to reach Volcano Manor.
- Start the Volcano Manor questline by pledging your loyalty to the Manor, which will earn you the Drawing Room key.
- Head through the hallway on the right, and take the second door on the left.
- Knight Bernahl can be found here, now known as Recusant Bernahl.
- Complete the first two assassination contracts for Volcano Manor and speak to him again. He will give you the Letter to Bernahl, with two targets for which he requests your help.
- Agree to do it, and you can find the duo Vargram the Raging Wolf and Errant Sorcerer Wilhelm in Leyndell, Royal Capital, to the east of Altus Plateau.
- The Invasion Summon sign can be found close to the West Capital Rampart Site of Grace.
- After killing these targets, head on back to Volcano Manor. Speak with Recusant Bernahl again, and he will give you the Gelmir’s Fury sorcery.
- Continue the Volcano Manor questline until you beat Rykard, Lord of Blasphemy. Go back to Volcano Manor and speak with Recusant Bernahl again.
After this, Bernahl will move from this location.
Recusant Bernahl in Crumbling Farum Azula
You’ll have to progress even further into the game by reaching Crumbling Farum Azula. You can follow our guide on how to reach there!
- Advance in this area, and soon you’ll face the Godskin Duo. If you find the Dragon Temple Transept Site of Grace, you can head up the narrow staircase towards the boss fight to summon Recusant Bernahl to aid you in the fight.
- Once the Godskin Duo is beaten (unfortunately, they’re a mandatory boss), you’re almost finished with the questline.
- Head to the Beside the Great Bridge Site of Grace. head up the stairs and then take a left. Then, head towards the temple.
- Once you’re in the temple, head straight and take the right. Head through the door and climb the ladder. Recusant Bernahl will soon invade you. Defeat them to end this quest and get the final rewards.
Knight Bernahl Questline Rewards
Upon his defeat, Recusant Bernahl will drop the Beast Champion armor set, Devourer’s Scepter, Bernahl’s Ball Bearing, and most importantly, the Blasphemous Claw.
The Blasphemous Claw is a great help in the Maliketh, the Black Blade boss fight, which is the next boss to beat on your list.
It allows you to parry some of his second-phase attacks, which are usually unparryable. While it’s still a difficult boss, at least it will be slightly easier now!
If you have more to face in The Lands Between, we have a comprehensive guide on how to beat Elden Ring!
And if you need a decent ranged weapon for Elden Ring, here are the best bows you can find in Elden Ring!
Finally, check out our guide on the best builds for PVP, to help you when you invade other players!
Saturday 30th of April 2022
It's bell bearing. Not ball bearing.
Saturday 30th of April 2022
This seems to be a fairly common enough mistake made both in written articles and by creators on YouTube. Of course the written stuff could be down to a editor assumption.