Defeating Mohg, Lord of Blood, is much easier if you know the proper strategy to face this tedious boss in Elden Ring!
Bosses in Elden Ring are always a challenge. The game is designed to make everything, even the smallest enemy, deadly if you are not careful.
Therefore, adequate preparation is required before facing a boss. In Elden Ring, there are even several distinct damage types you can deal or receive from enemies.
All these variables make boss battles in Elden Ring not only a matter of skill but also of strategy!
Here is everything you need to know to defeat Mohg, Lord of Blood on Elden Ring!
Do not confuse this boss with Mohg, The Omen! If you are looking to defeat that boss, there is the complete guide on how to beat Mohg, The Omen.
Best Strategy to Defeat Mogh, Lord of Blood
Where to Find Mogh, Lord of Blood in Elden Ring
You can find Mohg, Lord of Blood, at the end of Mohgwyn Palace. If you have not reached this location yet, here is everything you need to know to get to Mohgwyn Palace in Elden Ring.
Follow these steps to get to Mohg’s arena:
- Fast travel to the Dynasty Mausoleum Entrance in Mohgwyn Palace
- Take the stairs and be careful as there is a considerable amount of Putrid Corpses ahead
- Continue this upwards path until you reach a door with a Statue of Marika next to it
- Enter this doorway and traverse the ruins
- Once you reach the exit of the ruins, activate the Dynasty Mausoleum Midpoint Site of Grace
- Take the stairs in front of this Site of Grace and then take the lift to the right
- This lift takes you right in front of Mohg, Lord of Blood’s arena
Tips to Defeat Mogh, Lord of Blood
To make this boss more accessible, you will need the following items:
- Mohg’s Shackle – Pins Mohg to the ground for a few seconds; you can use it twice in this boss fight.
- Purifying Crystal Tear – Purifies the Lord of Blood’s curse when mixed in the Flask of Wondrous Physick.
If you want to deal with this boss without the aid of this item, skip the following topics directly to the boss battle strategy.
How to Get Mogh’s Shackle in Elden Ring
This item is located in the Subterranean Shunning-Grounds. Unfortunately, this area is extremely complicated to navigate.
If you have not visited this location before, you can read our Mohg, the Omen guide to traverse the area easily.
This boss is in the last section of this location, so this guide will help get to Mohg’s Shackle’s area.
If you have already explored this area but did not find Mohg’s Shackle, follow these instructions:
- Fast travel to the Subterranean Shunning-Grounds Site of Grace.
- Exit the room and follow the path to the right.
- Pass the gate, take the doorway to the left and go down the stairs.
- As soon as you arrive at a big room with pipes, go to the left and drop to the pipe below.
- Once you land, take a look down and fall to the pipe below.
- Drop once again to reach ground level.
- Follow the wall to the right until you reach an opening, be careful with the lobster enemy here!
- Go inside the opening, take a turn right, and activate the Leyndell Catacombs Site of Grace.
- Now that you have a respawn point in case things go south backtrack to the opening on the wall you used to enter this location.
- Mogh’s Shackle is just behind the lobster enemy in front of the wall opening; you can use stealth to go behind it and collect the item.
How to Get the Purifying Crystal Tear in Elden Ring
This item is dropped by Eleonora, Violet Bloody Finger, after defeating her in the Second Church of Marika at Altus Plateau.
You can encounter Eleonora by progressing with Bloody Finger Hunter Yura’s quest in Elden Ring.
Using this Crystal Tear in the Wondrous Physick Flask before the second phase of Mohg’s boss battle prevents blood loss from its curse. However, Mohg will still regain its health.
Mogh, Lord of Blood Combat Strategy
Best Damage Types Against Mogh, Lord of Blood
Fire Damage is not ideal for this boss fight, as it only has a 20% effectiveness against Mohg, Lord of Blood in Elden Ring.
However, Mohg is weak to Blood Loss (Hemorrhage). Only a 290.6 blood loss build-up is required to trigger this effect on this boss.
Therefore, using the Bloody Slash Ash of War for this boss fight is a great idea.
The following damage types are effective or somewhat effective against this boss:
- Magic – 60% Effective
- Lightning – 60% Effective
- Holy – 60% Effective
- Standard – 90% Effective
- Slash – 90% Effective
- Strike – 90% Effective
- Pierce – 90% Effective
Mohg, Lord of Blood, has two different stages during its boss battle. Here are the best strategies for each of these stages.
Want to Master Parry in Elden Ring? How to Effectively Parry in Elden Ring – Tips & Tricks
First Stage – Mohg Combat Strategy
The first thing you need to know is that you can use Spirit Ashes and summon other players to help with this fight.
During this fight, getting the aggro off of your character is ideal. To achieve this, these are some great Spirit Ashes:
Also, before facing Mohg, remember to set up the Purifying in your Flask of Wondrous Physick at the Site of Grace.
Attacks to anticipate:
- Blood Flame Claw: Mohg uses its left hand to do a backward or forehand motion and attack with Blood Flame. The backhand attack is quicker and usually followed by one or two trident attacks, generally a trident charge.
- If you are quick enough, you can roll through the trident charge attack and land a couple of attacks.
- Mohg raises its trident to use Blood Curse mark. A red circle around your character represents this mark. Once this happens a second time, use the Mohg’s Shackle item to pin this boss down and cause as much damage as possible. As soon as it gets up, use the Shackle for a second time.
- Mohg’s Shackle Important Tip! – Do not get this boss below or close to 50% health with the first usages of the Shackle! This is important as once the boss is below this health limit, its second phase begins, and you will need to quickly use the Flask of Wondrous Physic to avoid the blood loss curse.
Curious About Elden Ring’s Colosseums? Elden Ring Colosseum Mystery Explained
Second Stage – Mohg Combat Strategy
- As soon as health gets near or below 50%, Mohg will begin its second phase. You will know when this is about to happen because Mohg grabs its trident with both hands and raises it while all the arena starts getting a red hue, and it starts regaining health. Once this reddish hue starts, immediately use your Flask of Wondrous Physick.
- Right after using the Flask of Wondrous Physick, get close to Mohg and cause as much damage as possible! If you are quick enough, you can get almost 30% of its health bar.
- Keep an eye on Mohg’s trident hand, as it will indicate incoming lunges with the trident imbued with Blood Flame. These attacks have great reach, but you can roll through them.
- Mohg’s left hand indicates Blood Flame attacks. Be careful once Mohg raises this hand and reaches into the portal, as it can also summon long-ranged Blood Flame attacks.
- Remain close to Mohg, and roll through its trident sweeps. Usually, after a second or third sweeping attack, you will have a small window to deal damage.
- If you start creating distance, Mohg uses much more Blood Flame than usual, filling the arena with it and making it harder to fight it.
- If the boss gets airborne, run towards it, and just as it is about to attack, roll towards it. As soon as it lands, get closer to it again to close the distance gap and try to deal some damage.
- This boss has plenty of moves, but keeping distance and rolling not too early to dodge his trident sweeps are the key to victory!
Looking for a Challenge? Elden Ring Hard Mode: How Summons Make Enemies Stronger
This is everything you need to defeat Mohg, Lord of Blood in Elden Ring!