One of Elden Ring’s toughest bosses is none other than Malenia, Blade of Miquella. Here’s how to take on and beat Malenia!
Despite being an optional boss in Elden Ring, Malenia has earned a spot in many players’ hearts. Mainly, with a sword.
If you’ve found yourself struggling to face this boss, you may need a new strategy to help.
Luckily, we have the perfect guide for you! Here’s how you can finally defeat Malenia in Elden Ring!
Elden Ring: How to Beat Malenia – Strategy & Tips
Malenia, Blade of Miquella is a challenging boss to take on, but she’s weak to a few afflictions.
We’re going to cover some pre-fight tips, as well as some tips for both of her phases. This way, you’ll have a better chance of finally coming out on top.
Elden Ring Malenia – Preparation Tips
- Malenia gains health on each hit. Regardless of damage, or whether she hits you, a Spirit Ash, or a fellow Tarnished, she’ll gain some health back. Keep this in mind before you face her.
- It’s a good idea to get either (or both) a Blood Loss Build Up weapon or something that inflicts Frostbite. We recommend the Rivers of Blood Katana for Blood Loss Build-Up.
- Alternatively, you can use the Hoarfrost Stomp Ash of War to inflict Frostbite. Even post-nerf, it’s still pretty strong!
- It’s a good idea to take something that can cure Scarlet Rot, as you’re likely to be affected by the Rot during your fight.
If you feel like you’re ready to take on the Blade of Miquella, let’s head into the strategy behind each of her phases.
Best Strategy to Beat Malenia, Blade of Miquella
- Luckily, her first phase is very close-range orientated. There are a few moves where she’ll charge you, but she rarely closes the gap. Use this to your advantage by either being more aggressive or keeping at a range.
- Each of her combos has a variety of sword swipes, keep stepping back to avoid most of these attacks, with the occasional roll if you need to.
- However, Malenia’s deadliest attack combo exists in Phase One. When Waterfowl Dance is about to begin, Malenia will hover with her sword out. As soon as you see her start to hover, RUN. Alternatively, you can roll straight at her if you time it right. But it’s better to run.
- Malenia doesn’t have much poise, staggering fairly easily. Although, she does come back from staggers quickly, so don’t rush that extra hit.
- Make sure you have plenty of Flasks of Crimson Tears on you, as her attacks hit hard. If you’re a low-Vigor build, you’ll likely feel it in this boss fight.
- Phase One doesn’t end until you defeat her first health bar, so don’t worry about Phase Two until after the cutscene or when you’ve beaten her first phase.
- At the start of Phase Two, Malenia will be floating above the arena. She’ll dive bomb you, and cause an explosion of Scarlet Rot after landing. Roll towards and under her to avoid this attack, which is fairly telegraphed.
- If you haven’t summoned your Spirit Ash in Phase One, now is a good time. When she strikes with heavy attacks, she’ll stay still for a few moments, making it perfect for you to get a few hits in. Use the Mimic Tear Spirit Ash for even more hits.
- This is where you’ll likely need to use your Scarlet Rot cures, such as Preserving Boluses. Malenia frequently rises and dives bombs similar to how she does at the start of Phase Two.
- Persevere with it and don’t give up hope. Make sure to keep an eye on her movements and attacks, and only attack when she is open.
Killing Malenia will reward you with her Remembrance, which contains a vital part of the Elden Ring Thanos build!
If you still find yourself struggling, you may need to level up some more. Here’s the best way to farm Runes in Elden Ring!
Alternatively, you can find some other Spirit Ash Summons. Here are the best Spirit Ashes to upgrade.
Elden Ring is full of different weapons and equipment. Here is a list of things that can help you with Malenia (and future boss fights too!):