Some of Elden Ring’s best-kept secrets are locked away behind puzzles that the player must solve – one such special item is held in Chelona’s Rise. Here are the locations of the three Wise Beasts that need slaying to claim the reward inside.
Another day in the Lands Between, another bunch of Spectral Turtles to slay. FromSoftware’s ability to keep players engaged for hours is aided by their refusal to hold their hands and guide them through their games.
However, Chelona’s Rise takes this to an all-new level, with one of the game’s best items locked behind a magical door. Gaining access requires a round of hide-and-seek that’ll take you much further than at the Testu’s Rise or Oridys’s Rise towers.
In fact, this tower puzzle requires much more effort. So much so that it’s not even accessible until you’ve progressed some way through Ranni the Witch’s questline.
It’s a complicated adventure, so follow our guide to figure out how to complete Ranni’s quest, and gain a legendary FromSoftware weapon as your reward!
- Updated the location of Chelona's Rise and of the wise beasts for accuracy
- Added additional information about the rewards at Chelona's Rise
Where to Find Chelona’s Rise in Elden Ring
Chelona’s Rise stands on a raised clifftop area on the southwesternmost edge of the Moonlight Altar on Liurnia of the Lakes. This location is only accessible later on in the game by progressing Ranni’s quest.
Speaking of the Albinaurics, here’s how you can complete their Rise tower and claim one of the best talismans in Elden Ring!
Chelona’s Rise Three Wise Beast Locations
To unlock Chelona’s Rise and start your quest to find the three wise beasts, follow these steps:
- Approach the Imp statue at the base of the tower and interact with it. You will read the inscription that it’s holding, which reads, “Seek three great wise beasts.”
- Proceed to find and hit the Tortoises (wise beasts) in the area
Curious about the much larger, rocky turtles that roam the Lands Between? Here’s how you can climb aboard the massive Walking Mausoleums!
Wise Beast 1
- Facing the steps of Chelona’s Rise, go around to your right, southwest around the tower. You’ll come to the cliff’s edge.
- Look down, over the precipice, and you’ll see the first Great Wise Beast clinging to the cliff face. Use a ranged attack, like arrows or magic, to attack the creature, sending it into the abyss.
- If you’re having trouble aiming, try standing on the triangular outcrop that’s slightly lower than the rest of the land.
Wise Beast 2
- Travel east from Chelona’s Rise until you reach the cliff’s edge south from the Lunar Estate Ruins.
- From this location, look down below the cliff edge to the south, and you’ll see a group of tortoises surrounding one giant Spectral Turtle. Ranged attacks can defeat it.
Choosing to climb down and get up close and personal? Here’s how all attributes affect your character, including reducing fall damage!
NOTE: The game may unlock Chelona’s Tower upon killing this Wise Beast. If this does not happen, continue on to Wise Beast 3.
Wise Beast 3
- Return to Chelona’s Rise. It is important that you do not fast-travel or rest at the Site of Grace.
- From the Rise, ride north and ride until you find a Spirit Spring, which can launch yourself and Torrent into the air.
- Step into it and jump. This Wise Beast is floating within the Spirit Spring, suspended in the air.
Once you’ve knocked the last wise beast, the seal on Chelona’s Rise will be broken, and you will be able to enter.
Possible Glitches & Workarounds
As mentioned further up the page, this quest can be a little glitchy for some Elden Ring players. Two issues seem to occur most frequently:
- Wise Beast 3 seems to somehow die without any interaction from the player. If this occurs, just proceed into the Rise once the seal breaks. No additional steps are required.
- Fast-traveling, resting on a Site of Grace or doing anything that ‘resets’ the game world can cause the Turtles to de-spawn and, therefore, become unkillable. Luckily, it’s not permanent. All you need to do to trigger their return is re-read the Imp statue transcript.
A similar problem occurs at Testu’s Rise, so be sure to follow our guide if you’re heading there next.
Chelona’s Rise Puzzle Reward
Head inside Chelona’s Rise and take the elevator up, where you’ll find a treasure chest with Ranni’s Dark Moon Sorcery.
This is one of Elden Ring’s most powerful sorceries, capable of launching a moon at your foes and inflicting the following effects:
- Deals magic damage and 270 Frostbite build-up
- Reduces magic damage negation by 10% upon impact for one minute
Looking to level up your magical ability to the max? Here’s the soft cap level for each attribute and how you can reach them efficiently!
Perhaps you wish to do the bidding of another Elden Ring witch? Here’s how to complete Sorceress Sellen’s questline!
Check out Game Guides Channel’s video walkthrough of Chelona’s Rise, too.