Elden Ring has plenty of bosses for you to defeat, but only some need to be done for the story. Here are all mandatory bosses in Elden Ring.
The Lands Between has a lot of challenges along your journey as Tarnished. However, some challenges are completely optional.
While it’s a good idea to defeat optional bosses, especially ones with early game weapons, it’s not required.
But if you simply want to push through the story, here are the bosses that you need to defeat to reach the end of the game.
What Bosses Are Required In Elden Ring?
There are a total of 12 mandatory bosses minimum in Elden Ring where are necessary to defeat before completing the game.
Before we get into the list, you’re required to kill two shardbearers (Great Rune Carriers) to progress the story. You can pick any of these two, but some have an extra boss before themselves which needs to be defeated.
If we have a guide for one of the required bosses, we will also link it to the boss’s name. So, if you’re struggling, you can use one of our handy guides to find a new strategy!
Here are the bosses that you need to defeat, as well as where they can be located in The Lands Between.
- First Great Rune Carrier
- Second Great Rune Carrier
- Margit, the Fell Omen, then Godrick the Grafted (Stormveil Castle, Limgrave)
- Red Wolf of Radagon, then Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon (Raya Lucaria Academy, Liurnia of the Lakes)
- Godskin Noble, then Rykard, Lord of Blasphemy (Mt. Gelmir)
- Starscourge Radahn (Redmane Castle, Caelid)
- Mogh, Lord of Blood (Moghwyn Palace)
- Draconic Tree Sentinel (Capital Outskirts, Leyndell)*
- Godfrey, First Elden Lord (Golden Shade) (Royal Capital, Leyndell)
- Morgott, the Omen King (Elden Throne, Leyndell)
- Fire Giant (Forge of Giants, Mountaintops of the Giants)
- Godskin Duo (Dragon Temple Altar, Crumbling Farum Azula)
- Maliketh, the Black Blade (Crumbling Farum Azula)
- Sir Gideon Ofnir, The All-Knowing (Royal Capital, Leyndell)
- Godfrey, First Elden Lord / Hoarah Loux (Queen’s Bedchamber, Leyndell)
- Radagon of the Golden Order (Elden Throne, Leyndell) (First phase of Final Boss)
- Elden Beast (Elden Throne, Leyndell) (Final Boss)
While the Draconic Tree Sentinel isn’t technically required to complete the story, he’s one boss blocking the way to Leyndell. There’s another path, however, there are more bosses, and it isn’t as clear. Making the Draconic Tree Sentinel the quickest route.
How to Reach Some Boss Locations in Elden Ring
If you need help finding the way to some of the above areas, have a look at some of our guides below:
- How to Reach Liurnia of the Lakes (Stormveil Castle Skip)
- How to Reach Mt. Gelmir
- How to Reach Mountaintops of the Giants
- How to Reach Crumbling Farum Azula
If you’re struggling with some of the bosses, you may need to re-spec your Elden Ring build.
Alternatively, you can farm Runes with our Elden Ring Rune Farming Guide!
Finally, some of Elden Ring‘s bosses drop Great Runes! Find out more about Elden Ring’s Great Runes and how to use them!