Dragons were always going to be present in a Miyazaki & George R. R. Martin production. Elden Ring’s scaley creatures drop Dragon Hearts, so here’s where you can find them all and put them to use!
As you progress through Elden Ring, your Tarnished will face many truly ferocious enemies. Some of the most awe-inspiring include the dragons that roam the Lands Between.
These monsters come in many different varieties, each with their own unique abilities and behaviors. But, once you’ve slain them, you’ll be gifted something unexpected: Their hearts.
Dragon Hearts are key to certain character builds in Elden Ring, and they’re finite, meaning you can’t farm them like you would Runes.
Here’s where you can find the Dragons that you’ll need to extract the hearts from.
All Elden Ring Dragons That Drop Hearts
The Dragons on this list will be categorized by their location in-game, starting with the areas that most players will likely visit first.
- Flying Dragon Agheel (Fire, x1 Heart) – It lands in the center of Limgrave’s Lake, as Bloody Finger Hunter Yura will warn you.
Liurnia of the Lakes
- Glitstone Dragon Smarag (Magic, x1 Heart) – North-west of the Rose Church, where you continue White Mask Varre’s questline, you’ll find Smarag sleeping beside a rocky outcrop.
- Magma Wyrm Makar (Fire, x1 Heart) – Ride along the northern river out of Liurnia and climb through the Ruin Strewn Precipice. The boss of this area, which is also one of two routes to Altus Plateau, drops a Dragon Heart.
Liurnia Quest Areas
The following Dragons can only be reached by following Ranni the Witch’s questline, giving you access to elevated areas of Liurnia, the Moonlight Altar. Check out our guide to complete the quest, which also grants you a legendary sword!
- Glintstone Dragon Adula (Magic, x3 Hearts) – Adula is initially found at Three Sisters, but once you reduce its health, it will teleport to the Cathedral of Manus Celes, which is accessible later in the quest.
- Unnamed Dragons (Magic, x1 Heart each) – There are three generic Dragons west of the Moonlight Alter. Unlike other unnamed Dragons in Elden Ring, these drop one Heart each.
- Decaying Ekzykes (Scarlet Rot, x1 Heart) – This grotesque creature guards the road through Caelid. Ride through Caelid Highway South, and you’ll undoubtedly come across this Dragon. Ekzykes spews a type of Rotten Breath, and here’s how you can use it, too!
- Flying Dragon Greyll (Fire, x1 Heart) – Greyll blocks your path across the Farum Greatbridge, linking up north and south Dragonbarrow.
- Elder Dragon Greyoll (Debuff, x5 Hearts) – You can locate this boss by following the road east from the Dragonbarrow West Site of Grace. Greyoll is near Fort Faroth and is surrounded by 5 of her offspring. Defeat them to kill her, as she’s stricken by age and cannot attack you herself. She will, however, roar, which debuffs your character. The debuff roar can be acquired as an Incantation that every Tarnished should obtain, along with these other incredible spells!
- Magma Wyrm (Fire, x1 Heart) – This variety of Magma Wyrm is located in the Gael Tunnel. This tunnel is located on the western cliffs of Caelid, right at the border with Limgrave. Another interesting character can be found here as part of their questline, too: Alexander the Living Jar!
- Magma Wyrm (Fire, x1 Heart) – Another Wyrm to slay, this time inside Volcano Manor, the Mt. Gelmir Legacy Dungeon.
- Magma Wyrm (Fire, x1 Heart) – The penultimate Wyrm. This one resides in the Lava Lake beside Seethewater Terminus.
Mountaintops of the Giants
- Borealis, the Freezing Fog (Frostbite, x1 Heart) – Borealis is located on the frozen lake in the furthest northeast position on the map. The lake is large, so you’ll have no trouble finding it.
- Great Wyrm Theodorix (Fire, x3 Hearts) – Despite its frozen locale, north of the puzzling Albinaurics Rise, the Great Wyrm deals Fire damage Prepare accordingly. You can’t miss this enemy, as it is close to the entrance of the Cave of Forlorn.
Below is a map showing a visual representation of each Dragon Heart within the Lands Between.
What Do Dragon Hearts Do in Elden Ring?
Take the Dragon Hearts to one of the two Churches of Dragon Communion, and you’ll be able to consume them at the altar to learn powerful Dragon-based Incantations.
Limgrave’s Church can be found naturally whilst also completing Boc the Seamster’s questline, so there’s no reason not to help out your Demi-Human pal.
Caelid’s Church is found right beside the battleground where you’ll face Decaying Ekzykes, so check it out on your way to General Radahn’s Festival of War!
As you might expect, eating Dragon Hearts does have its downsides. In Elden Ring, doing so gives lasting cosmetic alterations to your character. Here’s how you can change them back!