Each class in Diablo 4 has its unique ability, adding a further layer of strategy and depth to any given build. Sorcerers get access to one of the more interesting and powerful mechanics in the game: Enchantment Slots.
Enchantment Slots allow you to pick and choose a variety of powerful passive bonuses to slot into your character. It gives you much more freedom, but you can’t access it straight away.
Here, we’re going to go over how to gain access to Enchantment Slots, each of their powerful effects, and how to equip them on your character.
What Are Enchantment Slots in Diablo 4?
When unlocked, Enchantment Slots will grant you powerful passive bonuses that are linked to every spell in the skill tree. As a Sorcerer, you gain access to two extra slots in addition to the six you already have in your action bar.
These skills will offer a different passive variation of its default ability. In this way, a great deal of power can be implemented into your build, giving you powerful offensive and defensive effects.
Some important things to note:
- Skills need at least one skill point assigned to them to use the Enchantment Slot
- You can use the same skill in your Action Bar and one Enchantment Slot at the same time
- Any upgrades you have made to a skill carries through when used in an Enchantment Slot
- You can swap skills in and out of Enchantment Slots whenever you please
- The first slot unlocks at level 15, the second at level 30
How to Unlock Enchantment Slots
You don’t get access to Enchantment Slots until your Sorcerer reaches level 15. When this happens, a Priority Quest will automatically open up to you: Legacy of the Magi. You will unlock your first Enchantment Slot after completing the quest.
The second Enchantment Slot will unlock automatically at level 30.
Follow these steps to complete the Priority Quest:
- Reach level 15 to unlock the ‘Legacy of the Magi’ Priority Quest
- Travel to Nevesk and head to the Quest Marker to talk to Mordarin
- Head East to the Lost Archives dungeon to retrieve the Forgotten Codex
- Battle your way through the dungeon until you find the Dust-covered Chest – the Forgotten Codex is inside
- Return to Mordarin and follow him into the Abandoned Shack
- Light all four Braziers and talk to Mordarin to initiate a fight
- After winning the battle, talk to Mordarin and receive the Forgotten Codex – this will unlock your first Enchantment Slot
How to Assign Skills to Enchantment Slots
In order to assign a skill to an open Enchantment Slot, you must have at least one skill already spent in the base version of that skill.
Here’s how to equip a skill to Enchantment Slots:
- Open and expand the Abilities Menu
- Open the Skill Assignment tab
- Drag the skill into the open Enchantment Slot beneath the Action Bar
All Enchantment Slot Effects
Each skill will come with its own unique Enchantment Effect when assigned to a slot. Below are the Enchantment Slot Effects of every skill in the game:
Basic Skill Enchantment Slot Effects:
- Arc Lash: When you use a Cooldown, enemies around you are Stunned for 0.5 seconds.
- Fire Bolt: Lucky Hit: Your direct damage has up to a 100% chance to Burn enemies for 23% over 8 seconds.
- Frost Bolt: Lucky Hit: Your direct damage has up to a 100% chance to Chill for 30%.
- Spark: Killing an enemy has a 10% chance to form a Crackling Energy.
Core Skill Enchantment Slot Effects:
- Chain Lightning: Chain Lightning forms automatically, after spending 100 Mana.
- Charged Bolts: Whenever you are hit, there’s a 40% chance to release 5 Charged Bolts.
- Fireball: When you kill an enemy, they explode in a Fireball for 50% of its damage.
- Frozen Orb: Whenever you cast a non-Basic Skill, you have a 20% chance to launch a Frozen Orb at a nearby enemy.
- Ice Shards: Ice Shards automatically conjure and fly towards Frozen enemies.
- Incinerate: Lucky Hit: Direct damage has up to an 8% chance to spawn a rotating Incinerate beam
Defensive Skill Enchantment Slot Effects:
- Flame Shield: Flame Shield automatically activates when you take fatal damage. It takes 120 seconds to recharge.
- Frost Nova: Lucky Hit: Critical Strikes have up to a 30% chance to make your active Conjuration Skills unleash a Frost Nova.
- Ice Armor: Upon getting hit, you have a 5% chance to apply Ice Armor.
- Teleport: Evade is replaced with Teleport on a 17.0 second cooldown.
Conjuration Skill Enchantment Slot Effects:
- Hydra: When a Burning enemy is killed, a Hydra head spawns from its corpse for 3 seconds.
- Ice Blades: Killing an enemy has a 10% chance to conjure Ice Blades. 20 seconds to recharge.
- Lightning Spear: Absorbing Crackling Energy has a 10% chance to conjure a Lightning Spear.
Mastery Skill Enchantment Slot Effects:
- Ball Lightning: When Crackling Energy would form, there’s a 10% chance Ball Lightning is formed instead.
- Blizzard: Every 15 seconds, a Blizzard forms over you and follows you for 4 seconds.
- Firewall: Lucky Hit: Direct damage has up to a 15% chance to spawn a Firewall for 3 seconds.
- Meteor: Every time an enemy takes Burning damage, there’s 3% chance a Meteor falls on them.
As you can see, any budding Sorcerer out there will have plenty to play around and experiment with. The hellish hordes won’t know what hit them when you master Diablo 4 Enchantment Slots!