Cortondo Gym is one of the first you should attempt to beat if you’re pursuing the Victory Road story path in Pokemon Scarlet and Violet.
However, this Gym isn’t as easy as it may seem. Despite a rather fun and silly minigame to start it off, its Gym Leader, Katy, is very challenging.
So, you’ll need to come prepared and have a good understanding of how the terastal mechanic works in Pokemon Scarlet and Violet.
How to Beat the Bug-Type Cortondo Gym in Pokemon Scarlet & Violet
To beat the Cortondo Gym in Pokemon Scarlet and Violet you’ll need to complete the Gym Test and then defeat Gym Leader Katy.
The best way to beat this gym is to bring fire and flying-type Pokemon with you and be around level 14 and above. The Gym leader’s strongest Pokemon is a level 15 Teddiursa.
Fortunately, the Gym Test is relatively easy and just requires you to push a giant olive around a course. Gym Leader Katy, on the other hand, is a little trickier as her bug-type Pokemon are ruthless.
How to Beat the Cortondo Gym Test
To pass the Gym Test you need to roll a giant olive around a linear course. To move it just run into it by pushing forward on the joystick.
It’s very easy to complete, and don’t worry, there’s no time limit. The only thing you need to be careful of is the olive’s wild physics. It will fly all over the place, so be careful.
For a more detailed breakdown, continue reading:
- Head to the Cortondo Gym in Cortondo (it is West of Mesagoza)
- Talk to the Gym Staffer behind the counter about the Gym Test.
- Then go North West of Cortondo to the Olive Field and talk to the woman at the field.
- You can mark the location on your map (find the exclamation mark near Cortondo and select it by pressing A) to make getting there easier.
- Push the left joystick forward to move the olive. Get it around the course by knocking into it.
- You will see people standing down specific paths. You cannot get past them, so avoid going down there.
- Head back to the Gym Staffer to complete the Test.
What Type Is the Cortondo Gym in Pokemon Scarlet & Violet?
The Cortondo Gym is a bug-type gym that specializes in using strong and fast bug-type Pokemon. It’s a tricky gym to overcome, especially if you picked Sprigatito as your starter.
However, despite mainly using bug-type Pokemon, players should expect to see fighting-type moves as well as a Teddiursa that has been terastallized into a bug-type.
What Pokemon Does the Cortondo Gym Leader Use?
Gym Leader Katy uses primarily Bug-type Pokemon. Her lineup consists of Nymble, Tarountula, and Teddiursa, in that order.
She will terastallize her Teddiursa as soon as she sends it out, so be on the lookout for that and choose which Pokemon you’ll use against it carefully.
These are the exact details about Gym Leader Katy’s Pokemon:
- Level 14
- Moves – Double Kick, Struggle Bug
- Level 14
- Moves – Bug Bite
- Teddiursa (is terastallized into a bug-type)
- Level 15
- Moves – Fury Swipe, Fury Cutter
Where Is the Cortondo Gym in Pokemon Scarlet & Violet?
The Cortondo Gym is located in Cortondo, in the South Province (Area Two) region. You will find this by looking West of the starting city Mesagoza.
West is indicated on the map by the yellow line next to the magnifying glass. The easiest way to reach Cortondo is to leave via the Western exit of Mesagoza and continue heading west.
Tips For Beating the Cortondo Gym in Pokemon Scarlet & Violet
A helpful tip for beating the Cortondo Gym is to use flying or fire-type Pokemon. Fuecoco is a good example of a fire-type Pokemon you can get early on.
You can also get Fletchling in the surrounding area near Cortondo. It is a solid flying-type Pokemon and very easy to catch.
Of course, there are plenty of other fantastic Pokemon that would be useful against the Cortondo Gym leader. So be sure to check out all Gen 9 Pokemon in Scarlet and Violet to see which ones are the best.
Additionally, if you defeat five trainers near Cortondo, you can get the TM Aerial Ace from the League Rep outside of the Cortondo Pokemon Center.
Here are some extra tips you should use when taking on the Cortondo Gym:
- Avoid using grass-type Pokemon like Sprigatito. Bug-types are super effective against them.
- Bug-types aren’t very effective against fairy-types like Fidough, so consider bringing one along.
- Stock up on Super Potions before the fight.
- Save your best Pokemon for last. Teddiursa is very challenging, so make sure you’ve got a decent Pokemon reserved for it.
- Try and use a handful of debuff moves like Tail Whip alongside powerful attacks.
- Make sure to Terastallize the right Pokemon to deal maximum damage against her.