Players who have undergone the challenging process of unlocking the Master Sword in Zelda: TOTK are likely wondering if they can upgrade it even further.
In The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, players could upgrade the Master Sword’s base damage from 30 to 60 if they had The Master Trials DLC.
However, it isn’t immediately apparent whether the Master Sword is upgradeable in the base version of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom.
Fortunately, we have an answer on whether you can upgrade the Master Sword in Zelda: TOTK. Below we outline everything you need to know about improving Link’s legendary weapon.
Is the Master Sword Upgradable in Zelda: TOTK?
No, you cannot upgrade the Master Sword in TOTK. There is no way of permanently improving the Master Sword’s attack power, durability, or recharge speed.
However, players can temporarily improve the Master Sword’s attack power by fusing it with items. This will only work until the Master Sword runs out of power, at which point the fused item will break.
You can fuse any item to the Master Sword, increasing its attack power by that item’s fuse power. This includes anything from gemstones to Lynel Horns.
Fusing an item to the Master Sword will alter its iconic appearance. While you can remove the fused item at any point, it is worth keeping in mind.
Additionally, it is possible that, like in BOTW, the option to upgrade the Master Sword could be added in future DLC.
Whether it would be implemented in the same way, via a unique set of challenging trials or an immediately accessible system, remains unclear.
The Best Materials to Fuse to the Master Sword in Zelda: TOTK
The best material to fuse to the Master Sword in TOTK would be the Silver Lynel Saber Horn, as it boosts its Attack Power by 55.
However, there are plenty more powerful materials you can fuse to the Master Sword. They include:
- Diamond – Gives +25 Attack Power
- Black Lizalfos Horn – Gives +26 Attack Power
- Black Boss Bokobin Horn – Gives +27 Attack Power
- Silver Bokobin Horn – Gives +31 Attack Power
- Silver Moblin Horn – Gives +33 Attack Power
- Silver Lynel Mace Horn – Gives +51 Attack Power
- Silver Lynel Saber Horn – Gives +55 Attack Power
If you’re looking for early-game or easier-to-obtain materials to fuse to the Master Sword, then go with the following:
- Light Dragon Scale – Gives +12 Attack Power
- Blue Moblin Horn – Gives +13 Attack Power
- Blue Boss Bokoblin Horn – Gives +16 Attack Power
- Black Bokobin Horn – Gives +17 Attack Power