Now that players are starting to play the Black Ops Cold War Zombies mode, the secrets of Die Maschine are being uncovered. Here's how to see the map's Easter Egg through to the end and encounter a final boss fight.
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War boasts an excellent Zombies mode, with one of the best maps we've seen in years. There's tons to explore, secrets to track down, and a significant amount of zombies to slay.
However, those who want to make the most of their Zombies experience may want to finish the game's Easter Egg sequence. This selection of secret content is only available to those who put in the work.
But the reward is an incredible story experience, culminating in an epic boss fight. It's truly the way that Die Maschine was meant to be completed.
And if you want to play it for yourself, here's a step-by-step guide to help out.
Black Ops Cold War Zombies: Die Maschine Easter Egg Guide
First of all, we'd suggest doing this Easter Egg with a full squad of players for the best results. This isn't strictly necessary, but it's sure to make dealing with the undead easier in the long run.
Here's how to complete the Black Ops Cold War Zombies Easter Egg:
Die Maschine Easter Egg Guide - Part 1
- First off, you'll need to rebuild the Pack-a-Punch machine.
- Head to the Dark Aether via a portal, and collect all 3 parts of the Aetherscope. This item spawns in a random order at the following locations: Crash Site, on top of the broken plane, the Yard spawn area, underneath concrete stairs, and in the Particle Accelerator room on the metal staircase.
- At the base of the Particle Accelerator room, head to the assembly table and build the Aetherscope.
- Use the Medical Bay portal to enter the Dark Aether once more, and pick up Doctor Vogel's Diary from the desk.
- By now, your Aetherscope will be announcing that there's an Anomaly present. Investigate the area until a small floating light orb appears.
- Use the Anomaly to spawn in Spectral Reflection, and give him the Diary. This can only be done in the Dark Aether.
- Next, move upstairs to the Control Room and find a second Anomaly. Once again, pass over the diary.
- Now, return to the Particle Accelerator workbench and hand over the diary one more time to the waiting Anomaly.
- Back in the normal world, head back to the Medical Bay, and use the desk's computer.
- The chamber in front of you begins to glow, and the first stage of this Easter Egg is complete.
Before we're able to go any further, you'll need to gather the Wonder Weapon and all its subsequent upgrades. Follow this Cold War Zombies Wonder Weapon upgrade guide if you don't know how to do that already.
Die Maschine Easter Egg Guide - Part 2
- Now that you have the Wonder Weapon will all ammo types, you want to fire each type of elemental energy at the glowing chamber. Each of the 4 nodes hanging down has a different color face, indicating which ammo type they require.
- A new portal will spawn in the Medical Bay, which you should use to head into the Dark Aether again.
- A new Anomaly has arrived in the Medical Bay, near to a glowing red case. Spawn it in for a brief cutscene.
- Now back in the normal world, and pick up a Dark Aether Wrench lying on the ground near the case.
- Go back to the Yard where you first spawn and use the Dark Aether Wrench on the tank multiple times.
- A zombie will pop out of the tank, kill it, and then use an explosive on top of the tank. Doing so will cause it to fire.
- Go to Crash Site and grab a golden Decontamination Agent, which is now on the ground.
- Take said Decontamination Agent back to the red case in the Medical Bay and place it inside.
- When your next Megaton Zombie spawns, kill it to split the enemy into 2 halves. Then guide those halves to the Medical Bay.
- Each Megaton Zombie half will get pulled into the prepared canister, and the computer will now start the purification process.
- Orlov will spawn in the chamber, and he will quickly escape. It's now time to prepare for the Die Maschine boss fight.
Get everything you may need, whether that's equipment, multiple Wonder Weapons, Ray Guns, and more. And when you're ready, head into the portal in Nacht der Untoten.
Black Ops Cold War Zombies: Die Maschine Boss Fight
To get started with the Die Maschine boss fight, head into Nacht der Untoten once more.
- Find the Anomaly in Nacht der Untoten, and spawn in Orlov's Spectral Reflection.
- Back in the normal world, grab the Orlov Family Photo from where the Anomaly was found.
- Head to the Particle Accelerator to encounter Orlov and the Die Maschine boss fight.
- Protect Orlov from incoming zombies. The undead hordes throw everything they have at you here, so try to kill as many of them as you can while you frantically stay alive.
- Once Orlov announces that the process is finished, it's time to go. You're going to be performing a Die Maschine Exfil, but an extraordinary variation.
- Follow your map to get to the Exfil site at the Pond, and be quick about it. There's a strict time limit for reaching your destination.
- Whatever you do, avoid the blue lightning bolts on the way to Exfil. Each one does tremendous damage and may make all your hard work for nothing.
- Only one player needs to make it to the Exfil destination for everyone to extract successfully, so don't worry about leaving your squad behind.
And that's it; you've officially completed the Black Ops Cold War's Die Maschine Easter Egg, with the boss fight! It's quite the effort, but Treyarch has never been one to make things easy.
If you'd like to see this guide in video form, check out this great video by YouTuber MrRoflWaffles, who was integral to providing us with this information.
This Zombies Easter Egg isn't the fastest way to rank up in Black Ops Cold War, but it'll give its fair share of XP too. Mostly, players will be performing the Die Maschine easter egg, and the boss fight simply to see them in action.
And there are considerable bragging rights for those that are able to complete the game mode like this. Don't forget to make sure you're using some of the best weapon loadouts in Black Ops Cold War too.