Barrier Generation is one of the most important defensive properties in Diablo 4 due to how prevalent it is in many different builds. A proper barrier build will allow players to focus on delivering offensive attacks while their barrier absorbs damage.
However, to really use barriers properly, you need to know how to maintain them and keep them active in your character.
Suppose you let them run out while in the middle of battle, it could leave you open to enemy attacks. In this guide, we’ll break down how to use a barrier and how barrier generation works in Diablo 4.
What is Barrier Generation?
Barrier Generation is the total amount of Barrier that is generated from any of the Barrier effects that players have through their skills or gear. Players can increase this by improving their Barrier Generation Bonus.
When you see Barrier Generation on any gear or item, it essentially means that it will improve the amount of Barrier that you receive from certain skills. Usually, skills will say that you will receive a Barrier that absorbs XX% amount of damage for a set amount of time or until it reaches a certain threshold.
The Barrier Generation Bonus will add extra damage absorption to these skills. It is a great way to keep your character alive, and many classes use Barriers to improve their defenses in Nightmare Dungeons.
You’ll know when you have a Barrier active in Diablo 4 because there will be a blue glow on your health bar.
How to Increase Barrier Generation
The best way to increase Barrier Generation is to use Diamonds in Sockets for your Armor in Diablo 4. This is because socketing Diamonds into Armor will give you a boost to Barrier Generation Bonus.
Depending on the type of Diamond you use, your Barrier Generation Bonus could be greater:
- Crude Diamond – 3% Barrier Generation Bonus
- Chipped Diamond – 3.5% Barrier Generation Bonus
- Diamond – 4% Barrier Generation Bonus
- Flawless Diamond – 7% Barrier Generation Bonus
- Royal Diamond – 8% Barrier Generation Bonus
However, Barrier Generation Bonus isn’t the only way to improve your barriers in Sanctuary. There are also several aspects that will give you a boost, including:
- Aspect of the Deflecting Barrier – There is a chance to ignore incoming direct damage from Distant enemies when you have a Barrier active.
- Aspect of the Protector – When you damage an Elite enemy, you will receive a Barrier absorbing up to (XX) damage for 10 seconds. The effect can happen once every 30 seconds.
- Conceited Aspect – Players will deal increased damage while they have a Barrier active.
This is why using a Barrier in Diablo 4 is important and how it can help players really level up their build to World Tier 3 or even World Tier 4 levels.