Once players complete the “Following the Butterflies” quest from Clementine Willardsey and obtain the first butterfly location, 14 more will open up around Hogwarts Legacy.
Each location leads to a chest that contains a different Conjuration Spellcraft as a reward. There is no particular order you need to follow to find all locations.
- North Ford Bog -> Northeast of the Pitt-Upon-Ford Floo Flame.
- Forbidden Forest -> East of Jackdaw’s Tomb Floo Flame.
- Hogsmeade Valley -> South of the East Hogsmeade Valley Floo Flame.
- North Hogwarts Region -> West of the East North Hogwarts Region Floo Flame.
- South Hogwarts Region -> South of Mooncalf Den Floo Flame.
- South Hogwarts Region -> South of Aranshire Floo Flame.
- Hogwarts Valley -> East of Central Hogwarts Valley Floo Flame.
- Hogwarts Valley -> West of Keenbridge Floo Flame.
- Hogwarts Valley -> North of The Mine’s Eye Floo Flame.
- Feldcroft Region -> West of North Feldcroft Floo Flame.
- Feldcroft Region -> East of Feldcroft Catacomb Floo Flame.
- Poidsear Coast -> East of Tomb of Treachery Floo Flame.
- Poidsear Coast -> South Poidsear Coast Floo Flame.
- Clagmar Coast -> Northwest of Clagmar Castle Floo Flame.
Every Butterfly Location is relatively simple to find if you follow a few simple steps:
- Fast travel to the designated Floo Flame.
- Follow the cardinal direction stated in the guide on your compass.
- Your compass is located on the bottom-left of your screen. The cardinal locations are N = North, W = West, S = South, and E = East.
- Wait for the Butterfly Icon to pop up on your mini-map.
- A butterfly icon will always pop up when you are near one of the butterfly locations, but it will not remain on your map.
- The icon pops up even if you fly over or near the location. You don’t need to pass directly over it.
Thankfully, we’ve provided images of each location below to help you pinpoint exactly where to find all 14 butterfly locations.
Hogwarts Legacy Butterfly Locations Map
Here is an overview of the entire Hogwarts Legacy map and all 14 Butterfly locations.
North Ford Bog Butterfly Locations
Butterfly Location #1
- Northeast of the Pitt-Upon-Ford Floo Flame.
- Travel to the Pitt-Upon-Ford Floo Flame located in the northern part of the map.
- Follow the path north.
- At the fork in the road, follow the path on the right.
- Following the path, you’ll see the butterflies on your left side.
Forbidden Forest Butterfly Locations
Butterfly Location #2
- East of Jackdaw’s Tomb Floo Flame.
- From Jackdaw’s Tomb Floo Flame, travel east.
- Eventually, you’ll see poachers fighting with some spiders.
- At this point, you should see the Butterfly Icon on your map.
- Head east towards the icon, and you’ll find the butterflies.
Hogsmeade Valley Butterfly Locations
Butterfly Location #3
- South of the East Hogsmeade Valley Floo Flame.
- From the East Hogsmeade Floo Flame, head south along the path.
- Once you’re near the Mongrel Enemy Lair, head west a bit, and you’ll see the butterflies.
North Hogwarts Region Butterfly Locations
Butterfly Location #4
- West of the East North Hogwarts Region Floo Flame.
- Head west and follow the river from the East North Hogwarts Region Floo Flame.
- Keep following the river until you come upon the butterflies to your right.
- If you stay on the river and head west, you’ll see the butterfly icon on your map.
South Hogwarts Region Butterfly Locations
Butterfly Location #5
- South of Mooncalf Den Floo Flame
- From the Mooncalf Den, head south past the Quidditch field.
- You’ll see a trail that leads up the cliff and under an archway.
- Follow this trail, and you’ll see the butterflies in front of the stone archway.
Butterfly Location #6
- South of Aranshire Floo Flame
- Head south down the path from the Hamlet of Aranshire.
- Eventually, you’ll see a dragon shrubbery and the butterflies near it.
Hogwarts Valley Butterfly Locations
Butterfly Location #7
- East of Central Hogwarts Valley Floo Flame
- Head east from the floo flame; eventually, you’ll encounter some train tracks.
- Under the stone arch for the tracks, you’ll find the butterflies swarming about.
Butterfly Location #8
- West of Keenbridge Floo Flame
- Follow the main path from the floo flame towards the ruins in the east.
- This location is also one of the Ancient Magic Hotspots players can complete increasing their Ancient Magic Meter.
- Head behind the ruins, and you’ll see the butterflies near some rocks.
Butterfly Location #9
- North of The Mine’s Eye Floo Flame
- Head north from The Mine’s Eye Floo Flame, and you’ll encounter a river.
- The butterflies are near the river below the ruins.
Feldcroft Region Butterfly Locations
Butterfly Location #10
- West of North Feldcroft Floo Flame
- From the North Feldcroft Floo Flame, follow the river east.
- You’ll see some ruins near one of the Hogwarts Legacy Treasure Vaults on your map.
- The butterflies are on the east side of the ruins near the main pathway.
Butterfly Location #11
- East of Feldcroft Catacomb Floo Flame
- Head east of the Feldcroft Catacomb Floo Flame, and you’ll see two bandit camps just past the Niffler Den.
- The butterflies are near the cliff’s edge just south of the bandit camps.
Poidsear Coast Butterfly Locations
Butterfly Location #12
- East of Tomb of Treachery Floo Flame
- These butterflies are found on the main path just past the exit of the Tomb of Treachery.
- You’ll see them just past the ruins on the map and right before the Merlin Trial.
Butterfly Location #13
- South Poidsear Coast Floo Flame
- As soon as you exit the house the Floo Flame takes you to, you’ll see the butterflies near the large crate.
Clagmar Coast Butterfly Locations
Butterfly Location #14
- Northwest of Clagmar Castle Floo Flame
- Head to the bandit camp northwest of Clagmar Castle, on top of the cliff.
- You’ll see a fence and wooden spikes just before the bandit camp.
- The butterflies are near the wooden spikes.
Finding all butterfly locations is easier once players fully upgrade their broomsticks.
How to Find a Butterfly Chest in Hogwarts Legacy
You’ll see a swarm of red and blue butterflies when you find a butterfly location. To find the chest at each site, follow these steps:
- Walk towards the butterflies.
- Once they begin to move, follow them.
- At some point, the butterflies will stop.
- Once they stop, you’ll see the chest appear under them.
Just follow these simple steps, and you’ll quickly obtain all of the butterfly chests in Hogwarts Legacy.
However, before you head out to find all of the butterfly locations, you’ll need to complete the “Follow the Butterflies.”
Thankfully, this quest unlocks reasonably early in the game once players complete the Potions Class Main Quest.
How to Complete Follow the Butterflies Hogwarts Legacy Quest
To complete the Follow the Butterflies side quest in Hogwarts Legacy, you must speak to Clementine Willardsey and find the butterflies in the Forbidden Forest.
- Speak to Clementine Willardsey
- Head to the Three Broomsticks.
- She is inside near the broomstick holder.
- She’ll ask you to investigate some butterflies for her.
- Find Butterflies in Forbidden Forest
- Once you speak to Clementine, the quest marker will lead you into the Forbidden Forest.
- Head to this location, and you’ll see a flock of butterflies.
- Follow the Butterflies
- Once you read the butterflies, they’ll begin to move.
- Follow them deeper into the Forbidden Forest. They’ll lead you to a nearby river.
- Once the butterflies reach a location, they’ll fly in place.
- Cast Revelio, and it’ll reveal a Conjuration Spellcraft.
- Speak to Clementine Willardsey Again.
- Head back to the Three Broomsticks and reveal to her what you found.
- After your conversation, you can search for the other 14 Butterfly Locations to unlock the unique Conjuration Spellcrafts.
What Are in Butterfly Chests Hogwarts Legacy?
The chests that the butterflies lead you to in Hogwarts Legacy are always Conjuration Spellcrafts.
Players can find these small hexagon chests scattered all around Hogwarts Legacy. They allow players to learn the Conjuration Spells for the Room of Requirement.
Players need first unlock the Room of Requirement to make use of them. Unfortantely, obtaining all of the butterflies won’t directly upgrade the players.
You’ll need to complete Merlin Trials to upgrade your Gear Space Inventory. Players can also complete Ancient Magic Hotspots to increase their Ancient Magic Meter.